Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching losses & Rectifier diode losses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhu.b

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

what is the formula for MOSFET switching losses & Rectifier diode losses? and please explain me how to calculate them?

Switching loses depends on diode and MOSFET static and dynamic characteristics, switching frequency and MOSFET driver characteristics. In most cases majority of losses on MOSFET happens during transition time betwen ON-OFF and OFF-ON state. Slower transition - bigger loses.
So it is not just simple formula.
For DC or low frequency it is enough to calculate only static characteristics. In that case formula is: Pdiode=Ud*Id and Pmosfet=Ron*I*I

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello,

what is the formula for MOSFET switching losses & Rectifier diode losses? and please explain me how to calculate them?
Hi Madhu.b
Switching loss of a mosfet will given by :
1/T integral over Rdson*Id^2 dt from zero up to ton . and fo a diode : 1/T integral over Vdon*id^2 dt
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi Madhu.b
Switching loss of a mosfet will given by :
1/T integral over Rdson*Id^2 dt from zero up to ton . and fo a diode : 1/T integral over Vdon*id^2 dt
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I think it is like this for diode: 1/T integral over Vdon*id dt

I think it is like this for diode: 1/T integral over Vdon*id dt
Hi GUMY
Oops . my typo . sorry , you're quite right . it's correct for is as you've wrote .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.