Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Correct way to terminate connector shielding

Status
Not open for further replies.

marko.severin

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
I'm getting a bit confused on how to correctly terminate connector shielding (like USB, D-SUB, or similar). For instance, most of the board I've seen uses the RC variant, like this one:
cap.png

However, Texas Instruments uses a ferrite bead instead in one of their designs (Sitara Starterkit):
ind.png

These are two completley different approaches. One shorts high frequencies to GND, the other blocks them. Which one is correct, or better said, when do I use one and when the other?

Thanks and best regards,
Marko

The first one uses capacitors for coupling to a single ground.

The second is using a ferrite bead to isolate the high-frequency noise on the digital ground from getting to the chassis/USB ground while still connecting the two grounds together for DC. That's a common technique to help isolate analog and digital grounds while still allowing them to be tied together at one place for DC or lower frequency AC continuity between grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back