Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are salaries in Silicon Valley declining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: US salaries declining?

Look for engineering job openings in NSA, CIA, FBI. I bet they pay good. There are hundreds of thousands Century21 researches/projects to be initiated.
SO YOU GUY WANT TO GET FAT WITH EVIL HEIN???

the internet has been built.

there are electronics in everything.

the next stage is biotechnology, biomems and biology.

then the human race will all be clones run by masters.

No matter you must study in a good school to become a good engineer.In my country only guys in the top engineering schools are lacking attitudes and learn things by rote.You know they are contended just with grades which is easy to acquire by knowing just a modicum amount of the subject matter,as i told earlier THEY LEARN THINGS BY ROTE.What's more important is the attitude to motivate oneself.There is no point in taking an easy way of life,try taking an arduous path.Guys,IT'S IN US.

Regards
drdolittle :)

eltonjohn said:
Look for engineering job openings in NSA, CIA, FBI. I bet they pay good. There are hundreds of thousands Century21 researches/projects to be initiated.
SO YOU GUY WANT TO GET FAT WITH EVIL HEIN???

I did not say it mister! Michael Moore said it.

Also I believe these guys finance (actually they do indeed!) a lot of fascinating electronic projects you never ever going to be able to accomplish them elsewhere.

i still say people have less discipline now than even 5 years ago to study microwave, integrated circuits and semiconductor physics.

young people are too distracted and dependent on the computer.

it has made them not able to think any longer

Can someone tell us typical salaries in the USA by their region please ?

Thanks

US salaries declining?

The whole problem is that there is a mad race of people flocking to some particular fields as there is more value and income in these - supposedly and other areas get neglected. Instead if a balance is created by giving good value ,worth and opportunities, knowledge available in so many diverse fields that are existing then there will not be such mad race for one or two and such a point of saturation or high demand less supply or less demand and oversupply kind of situation probably would not arise -- hopefully.
It should be that each and everything on earth has and should have its value and importance.

US salaries declining?

IC designer is in saturation.there are a lot of students from colledge .

US salaries declining?

Salary level by region? A friend got a job in the northeast for 80K US/year, MASc level in RF.

thanks dantheman.

more posts like that are needed.

DrDolittle said:
No matter you must study in a good school to become a good engineer.In my country only guys in the top engineering schools are lacking attitudes and learn things by rote.You know they are contended just with grades which is easy to acquire by knowing just a modicum amount of the subject matter,as i told earlier THEY LEARN THINGS BY ROTE.What's more important is the attitude to motivate oneself.There is no point in taking an easy way of life,try taking an arduous path.Guys,IT'S IN US.

Regards
drdolittle :)

u dont seem to be liking people from good schools like the IIT in india,whether you agree or not there is a huge difference between a fellow at an iit and a fellow from an ordinary college,if u dont believe that,thats your problem.fellows in the top schools have taken an ardous path and only then they have come to these top schools in the first place,dont you think so.

regards
amarnath

Hi,
I just came across to this forum out of curiosity while browsing other things.
I have to admit that whats happening lately in this hi tech industry has been very drastic. I know very well that the US economy is based on the capitalist ideology and in the past also it happened in manufacturing resulting in most manufacturing made outside US today. So , there has been an argument passed that, then the US labor adjusted to the climate by shifting over to services based employment and made great strides in becoming knowledge workers as opposed to labor intensive workforce and contributing to the US economy in a great way leading to the technology revolution of the 80s and 90s. the argument states that now also the same thing has to happen now and the employment pattern will shift. But a cogent point has been raised that a transformation took place from manual to skill based and from skill based to technical and now from technical to what??
The core operating principle of a company in a market economy is to make profits. At what cost, it dosent care as it feels responsible only to the shareholders and rightly so if it cannot contain costs it will go under. So if it cut costs by making things wherever the market is favorable for its operation it will do so. So there is basically nothing in principle that it cannot outsource at the extreme everything including the CEO is outsourceable. Does this bring value to shareholders- I dont understand the underlying principle of this logic. Its pains to note that innumerable skilled workers in US have had the misfortune of being laid back only because they were an expendable cost to the company. Is this because of oversight in estimating the relevance of high technology to society. I think it may be. The high techology was concentrated mainly in the US and europe during the good part of the 90s , then was it , that much of the hype and promise of new technology to the society was touted. Mind you the society targetted was also mainy in the US and europe. You must have heard about Gilder and his outcomes to make an example. the market moved too quickly anticipating quick adoption of latest tech by the people which unfortunately didnt materialize. then came the big inventories and capacities which could not be sustained primarily in the telecom which went bust. the hardware technology comanies were the greatest dependents of the telecom success happening. Then they too couldnt sustain their developed capacities and techinical skills which werent of any help because the markets werent just mature for their products. Now we have this scenario as a result. the downtrun in the US markets coincided with the opening and liberal access tot he east asian markets. they move in droves, whos to blame-the companies, I dont think so,they just act on survival instincts. the situation not to have forseen the future in a more pargmatic way is to be blamed.
Its always surprising to me that many of them who lost their jobs in US due to outsourcing take a resigned attitude to their case even if feeling indignant at their employer. They seem to have unshakeable faith in capitalism in setting things right in the course of time, I hope they are right.
I'll tell you India and Indonesia can dump steel at almost half the price of US made steel for the same quality. Then why dont US simply import 100% of its steel. it will bring down the cost of owning a home by 30% to the people. Can it do so??
Yes, as some have observed labor is cheaper in the asian market, thats not going come on par with US standards anytime in the near future. But I'll tell you a US dollar costs about 46 Indian rupees. And believe me that 46 rupees buys more than twice quality stuff than a dollar buys in US. So dont go about thinking that people in asia work for peanuts. A design engineer from India dosent have to buy milk from Deans or coffee from Folgers with his Indian rupees. They are relatively in the same niche as workers from US. The market structure in other countries dont have the same patterns as in US though they have similar products. It has a lot to do with exchange rate which depends on the country's stability performance and other artificial factors. US is still the richest country on earth with unmatched technical competency but ironically now saddled with a lot of skilled poor populace. Perhaps thats a price to pay for being the prosperous capitalist nation in the world. Where does it go from here??

i like your leading question - where does it go from here ?

what we are really talking about is engineering industry with respect to globalization. globalization has another interesting factor, it raises the standard of living of 2nd/3rd world countries because there is an economy there that never was in the past.. those countries need infrastructure fast to keep up with outsourcing.. maybe they will outsource to north america to build their infrastructure.. which all starts with energy. electricity being #1.

power electronics engineers, 5-10 years from now, will see huge salaries for senior people. solar power, wind power, fuel cell... energy resources & the distribution of will become huge. forget about the latest technology, turns out it was just a fad of the 90's.

i ramble..
Mr.Cool

i agree.

electronics has reached it's peak and won't rise any more.

just like steel, raiways, cars, plastics... and so on.

this is normal for capitalism. once it's all been done, it's done!

energy is definitely the future, if we all stop using oil.

car and oil companies who have dominated for 100+ years don't like that idea!

USA is not declining, only china and usa have growing economies. the world economy depends on them both.

they both need oil, who will win?

Puppet1 said:
electronics has reached it's peak and won't rise any more.<-- snip -->

I disagree with this statement. At present electronics is ushering in new and better ways to communicate as evident by the advancements in wireless technology, e.g. cell phones, VoIP, wireless networking, GPS, etc. Look how far, and ubiquitous, these products/technologies (especially computing power) have come in the last 20 years. MEMS & Nanotechnology, two technologies that readily come to mind, are maturing and willl soon revolutionize the electronics industry allowing us to make smaller, faster, cheaper (ok cheaper is arguable), more reliable devices. Granted, creativity is sorely lacking from the current generation of engineers; we apply new technology to existing designs, "reinventing" what has already been. Case in point, the Ipod - everyone is gung-ho about the Ipod when it's just a digital version of the walkman from the '80s. That said, all that's needed is innovation, much of the technology is here waiting to be applied! Much of the electronics we enjoy today are a result of technological advances and innovation brought about by war efforts. I'd like to say that as a race we've progressed beyond the need for war but unfortunately that is not yet true. However, I'm hopefull that the 20 years or so will bring a plethora of ideas and products, not specifically to wage war & win battles but that will make life on earth (and possibly beyond) better.

I said it was at it's peak, having reached a plateau.

Gone are the days on 10-20% rises in profits, revenues.

Nanotechnology is not microelectronics, we are now in the nanoelectronics era,
which requires PhD, and highly qualified Master's degrees.. The needed people in these fields are declining since most things have already been done in CMOS, CMOS is like steel now, hardly any innovation left. Most innovation is at the system level, if any and iPODs do not make a whole industry! It's just a FAD!

The internet is built out and was built to over capacity in the 1999-2000 boom. People had already done 40GB/s chips and those were not needed. Computers and PCs have saturated--reached penetration in most western households (over 60% of people have them) -- PC Market has reached it's peak and steady. No more new markets.

Predictions are that 40% of Semiconductor companies and equipment makers will fold in 5 years. That is necessary: this industry has matured. Most people in this industry will be washed away.

Will it be you? (whoever is reading this)

Still People With Valuable experience and Expertize in their fileds are getting FAT paychecks. When a person gets laid off and is out of jOb for long time then his/her bargaining power decreases. But experts are always in demand ( nowadys DFT guys in bay area are in more demand )get at least 20% hike

sure experts are in demand, because obviously all over the world people are reluctant to train new people, since they don't know what the world economy will be like 6 months, 1 year, 2 years etc down the road.

not training new people is suicidal, but that is what new immigrants to ANY country are for. get them from another country and you won't have to train your own people!

Status
Not open for further replies.