Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem in Double balanced mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilsigma

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone...

I am simulating a double balanced mixer....as shown below...

Untitled.png

I am giving 2Vrms at LO input and 1Vrms(from Capacitor voltage divider) on RF input...

And I am getting 516mV DC at output(on Oscilloscope)
but I am not able to think...why am I getting such output voltage...?? since output of the mixer should be multiplication of input signals...

Please help....

Last edited:

Your RF and LO signals are at the same frequency, so when they mix the result will have a DC offset (depending on their relative phase). So your mixer may be working properly.

yup that is ok....but How much should be the DC level(Amplitude) of the DC signal...

It's hard to estimate precisely from just a schematic. But 516mV doesn't sound too unreasonable. Your RF port signal (1Vrms) is probably too strong though, in general you want to keep it at least 10dB below your LO power.

A better test of the simulation would be to create a separate voltage source to drive the RF port with a small amplitude (like 0.1Vrms) and a small frequency offset (1KHz). Then you should get a sine wave on the IF port, and that should allow you to calculate your conversion gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.