Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a 0.1uF very small high voltage & constant value for wide temperature Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodstanur

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Need a 0.1uF very small high voltage & constant value for wide temperature Capacitor

Hi,
I am searching for a 0.1uF high voltage capacitor (1000v) with the smallest size available. Also the capacitor value should not vary with temperature. Can any one suggest the capacitor?

Re: Need a 0.1uF very small high voltage & constant value for wide temperature Capaci

All capacitors (except maybe air gap) are going to have some nonzero temperature coefficient. What temperature range are you looking at, and what kind of variation is tolerable?

One option is to make a MMC array of class I dielectric caps (NP0), if you really need low tempco operation. Using a high quality film capacitor might also work. Cornell Dubilier makes great stuff.

Re: Need a 0.1uF very small high voltage & constant value for wide temperature Capaci

All capacitors (except maybe air gap) are going to have some nonzero temperature coefficient. What temperature range are you looking at, and what kind of variation is tolerable?

One option is to make a MMC array of class I dielectric caps (NP0), if you really need low tempco operation. Using a high quality film capacitor might also work. Cornell Dubilier makes great stuff.

Actually I want to use it in a parallel resonance with an inductor which carry high current. So the normal 0.1 uf ceramic caps are getting damaged with in seconds at resonance, then I got 1000v caps but now I am forced to reduce the size of the caps. Also I don't want to shift the resonance freq because of caps value change on temp. It is supposed to work in room temp and normal temp at outside... But the normal outdoor temperature itself will be different in different place...

You should look at the types of film capacitors used for tesla coils and induction furnaces then. Many people like the 940C series from Cornell Dubilier. What kind of size are you looking for?

You should look at the types of film capacitors used for tesla coils and induction furnaces then. Many people like the 940C series from Cornell Dubilier. What kind of size are you looking for?

I am looking for an SMD of size around 5mmx5mm with height maximum 1.5mm. I don't know if it is available. I can sacrifice on length and breadth but not on height.

Okay, so 1KV in 0.1uF is 50mJ of energy. So you're looking for an energy density of 1.33J/cm^3. That's far beyond what any film or ceramic capacitor can do. I highly doubt there's any available technology that comes close to your needs.

The only way to get those specs with such a small height is with a large array of NP0 ceramics, but it will need a very large area (probably more like 50x50mm).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back