Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

igbt soldered on to pcb : high current joint damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinu gopalakrishnan

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi friends, given below is the photo(bottom side) of my igbt h bridge for inverter. maximum current of 8 to 10 amperes will flow through. Will the soldering track carry that much current?

also i am planning to solder the snubber circuit into the same board, as i dont want to use a lot of wires and make it messy.

IGBT used : 15n120 (1200v,30A)

Attachments

• 2013-04-03 16.05.53-1.jpg
    2013-04-03 16.05.53-1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 2013-04-03 16.04.36-1.jpg
    2013-04-03 16.04.36-1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 92

hi friends, given below is the photo(bottom side) of my igbt h bridge for inverter. maximum current of 8 to 10 amperes will flow through. Will the soldering track carry that much current?

also i am planning to solder the snubber circuit into the same board, as i dont want to use a lot of wires and make it messy.

IGBT used : 15n120 (1200v,30A)
Hi vinu gopalakrishnan

I don't think it might be a good idea to use strip board for switching circuits . but for my opinion it isn't sufficient for 8 amperes too . ( your soldering )
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi vinu gopalakrishnan

I don't think it might be a good idea to use strip board for switching circuits . but for my opinion it isn't sufficient for 8 amperes too . ( your soldering )
Best Wishes
Goldsmith
you are right goldsmith its not advisable to use strip board and also 8 amp is to much for it may be you will need to add a copper wire and solder on it to increase the conductor.

What if, i increase the thickness of soldering?
Hi again
As i can anticipate , i think your circuit is kind of switching circuit so i hope you know about skin effect in higher frequencies ! just thickness isn't sufficient . because current can't go through the center of your soldering or wiring . when your frequency is going to be increased , the current will try to go through the surface of wire . so you'll need multi wiring which means using some wires in parallel together .
How much is your switching frequency ?
More details would result in better help to you !
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

ok..the switching frequency is around 1.5Khz..
Hi again
1.5 KHZ seems so low , so i think you won't have any dealing with skin effect in your circuit . so you can boost thickness of your soldering to be sure that it's able to handle it .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thats not even strip board, its prototype board - loads of tiny isolated copper squares, each with a hole in it. You are using 1200v IGBTs, what is your actual PSU voltage?, I would not trust that board above 50v square to square. Also the holes look too small for a decent wire gauge, suitable only for .5mm diam?
Frank

I would strip off a single line of squares each side of a 400V line then clean the base board with methylated spirits or alcohol. This is to make sure that there will be no flux residues to form leakage paths between any 400V point and any other.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.