Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What simulator is better HSPICE or SPECTRE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did in the past on a 200k mixed/rf circuit a bias DC check fullchip simulation. W/o any .nodeset spectre does this with about 1.5GB in some hours.

I think on the pure analog side I think smartspice is also strong. The issue is that there is no benchmark with critical big circuits.

I am using the SPECTRE and finding it very useful in the RF Analog design. The interface in the ic5.0 is good enoough for any measurement using Spectre. I prefer SPECTRE over HSPICE in ic5.0 environment.

I like HSPICE. And the waveform viewers of cadence, such as AWD and Wavescan, are not as good as awaves

AWD is much better than Awaves. If you didn't include .MEAS in your netlist you have to resimulate you task. With AWD you don't care about that. You can plot everything AFTER simulation not only you supposed to plot BEFORE it. When you debug your design you never know what kind of waveform you will need to plot.

But I find it is so inconvenient to open a big waveform data in AWD.

hspice have windows version .. how about Cadence spectre ?

i think that hspice is better in terms of accuracy but spectre is more user friendly

Hi

Try to look at silvaco.com
They say some good benefits from smartspice on multi-processor platforms.

tnx

Has anyone here tried Ansoft Nexxim ?

**broken link removed**

"U-Chip evaluated the performance of several commercial simulators before selecting Nexxim. Benchmarks performed on a memory cell with 47,500 transistors established the clear advantages provided by Ansoft technology with results that matched measurements within 1 percent. One well-known SPICE simulator, while providing transistor-level accuracy, failed to handle the large transistor count. Two commonly used fast-SPICE simulators offered the capacity, but predicted incorrect DC solutions and distorted transient waveforms after the first few clock cycles. "We must have confidence in our circuit simulator before we can commit to silicon," says Juei-Lung Chen. "Fast-SPICE simulators are not fast at all if you end up re-spinning the chip."

I have already said that few times but in my opinion the difference between the tool itself is of very low importance. One can run faster than the other or is a bit more precise what is hard to decide when you are designing IC and do not have any parasitics there...
To me what is important are the models. If the models are extracted by foundry for SPECTRE I want to use Spectre just because I believe the models more. If they tweak models for HSpiCE or ELDO then those models are probably ok but I think their accuracy is little lower.
Also I would prefer to use the simulator most foundry users are using (usually spectre) just because I believe that if 100s of engineers run simulations that it is probably safe to say that there are no big issues.
But that's just me - I want my design to work and I don't care what tool I am going to use.

spectre is better for RF design

do anyone know hspice rf?

I doesn't use Hspice,but i think Spectre is very perfect for ananlog design!

Can someone show me some useful learning book
about spectre. I want to learning mixed signal circuit, but the Hspice is not good for simulating
it.

Hspice and spectre are good tools,which one is better up to your like.
But spectre has some merit over hspice:first spectre can do AC analysis of switch capacitor circuits ,while hspice cann't; second spectre can deal with rf simulation, many parameter can be test conveniencely.

hspice is better for tape out use
and spectre for study

HSPICE is more accurate....that is why industries uses HSPICE more rather than SPECTRE

I use ELDO instead of HSPICE.
Spectre is more convenient in use.
But ELDO is faster.

i think that Spectre is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back