Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BLDC Driver - MOSFET bootstrap driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovaniluigi

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm doing a circuit to control a BLDC motor using MOSFETs.
The Motor should not drive more than 10A @ 24V and the mosfets are the FQP50N06L.

The motor has HALL sensors for commutation control so BEMF is not monitored.

The motor speed is controlled using a 20KHz PWM on bottom FETs.

I designed the driver of each half-bridge using an IR2101.
For the High Side of the bridge the IR2101 uses a diode and a capacitor to do the trick to switch the MOSFET gate.

The only problem is that I'm with problems to calculate and understand exactly this bootstrap capacitor.

Two years ago I designed a BLDC controller using an IC similar to the IR2101. I used the IR2110 which is "stronger" but not needed in this case. Without knowing the capacitor valule I started to add one electrolytic capacitor of 1uF. The motor didn't worked. Then I replaced by a 10uF capacitor. The motor started to spin but very weak. Then I replaced by a 47uF capacitor. The motor worked but when I added some load the commutation were "skiping" then I replaced again the capacitors by a 100uF. This way the motor works always and with a great torque.

Two problems:

1 -

The MOSFET has a low gate charge requirement. In my opinion 100uF for this is an insane value.
According to my calculations the minimum value would be about 300nF.
I'm using a common electrolytic capacitor. The ESR of the capacitor maybe the problem ?

2 -

Motor doesn't start. I need to manually start it, make it spin a little (half a turn) to it start spinning.
That seems to be happening because the bootstrap capacitor too. No enough charge on it.

Is there any special procedure to start a BLDC motor driven by this simple bootstrap strategy ?
I guess not because I saw a lot of schematics on the internet with nothing special...
Some used an additional power supply of -15V to supply the bootstrap driver but as I'm powering the IR2101 driver with 12V, I should have no problem.

Below you can see my driver for the new schematic that I have not testes yet. I've added a ceramic low ESR 3.3uF cap. for bootstrap that should be more than enough. But I'm afraid of it because of my old design problems.

bldc.PNG

Questions:

1. Why I got a weird behavior using a common capacitor with IR2110 and I needed up to 100uF ?
  2. Why motor can't start spinning without a manual help ?
  3. My new schematic seems to be correct to drive a motor that will demand up to 24V 10A (Speed control with PWM @ 20KHz) ?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.