Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me determine whether my LCD is faulty or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwwq

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Got a new JHD 162A 16x2 LCD. Hooked it up to an TI MSP430. Made the connections as given in the "Hello World !" example in Energia. Uploaded the program, only to find the top row completely darkened and the bottom row completely blank. Checked connections again and again. Adjusted Contrast POT to achieve proper contrast. Same result. No Hello World ! Is the LCD broken ?

[edit]
BTW, Energia's Blink programs works fine. So I don't doubt the MSP430. Ideas ?

LCD is broken. sorry for that. buy new one.

DONE. New one bought. To my surprise, both LCDs display exact same results, which means, now I am pretty sure that Energia's inbuilt libraries are not compatible with JHD 162A LCD and not the fault of the LCD. Now I need someone to help me correctly interface the LCD and write a custom program in Energia. Anyone ?

OK. Just for others who are facing the same problem, I post the solution. In my first post, I wrote that the bottom row was displaying all dark pixels and the top row was displaying all clear pixels. First of all, I mistook the top row as the bottom and vice versa. And I am sorry to deny @aploma's reply, this is in fact an indicator that the LCD is OK. And about Energia's compatibility on LCD, I found out that Energia uses Arduino libraries, which are perfectly compatible with the JHD 162A. But I was still facing the problem because, I had used two different power supply sources. One to power the LCD (via an adapter) and one to power the TI MSP430 (via USB from computer port). Since both GND were different, the LCD was not able to read any logic level. So all I had to do was to draw power from the USB to power the LCD module too. And wallah, it worked -- "HELLO WORLD !!!" . I also tried switching both the uC and the LCD to the adapter supply, and abiding by all laws of physics, it worked flawlessly again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back