Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase margin of an already inverted system

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlienCircuits

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a feedback system, and I frequently see that phase margin is computed as the cross over frequency phase + 180 degrees, which tells me how far I am from -180 degrees at the cross over frequency, and so it tells me how close I am to the point that I've completely inverted my control signal.

In my case, my control signal is already inverted naturally, and so at DC frequency, I already have 0 phase margin technically according to these formulas.

So my question would be how do I find the phase margin of a system that starts at -180 degrees? Would I start at -180 degrees and see how close I am to -360 degrees as I approach my cross over frequency?

I've attached my Phase response of the plant and feedback sensor transfer functions combined to see what I'm talking about.

Gp + H phase.jpg

A evryone knows, phase is cyclic with 360°. So in your diagram, presuming it's actually showing the overall loop phase, -360° would be the reference for phase margin. For valitidy of the simplified phase margin stability criterion, there must not be multiple crossings of the n*360° line.

In simple words, phase margin is the distance to the oscillation condition: Loop gain = 1 (gain understood as a complex quantity, describing both magnitude and phase).

Thanks for the great answer. The loop phase shown is only my plant and my sensor combined . . my next step is to design the compensator, and I wanted to make sure I understood my situation correctly since I'm used to seeing reference to 0 degrees. I only have one unity gain crossing, and so I believe the phase margin criterion should be sufficient for stability.

loop gain magnitude.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back