Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending Data from controller to internet using GPRS modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratiksuthar7332

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have my micro controller and GPRS modem at some remote station and i want to collect its data on internet which has assign IP.

I want details of this.

I think first you need to have some server running in listen mode on PC with some port ( in the command below I am suing TCP/IP stack with post 5000) open then you can try these GPRS commands using UART of micro-controller...

Code C - [expand]
unsigned char s1[9]="AT\r\n";  //send "AT" command modem will response
unsigned char s2[18]="AT+CIPMODE=0\r\n";//Select TCPIP Application mode
unsigned char s3[30]="AT+CLPORT=\"TCP\",\"5000\"\r\n"; //set Local Port
unsigned char s4[45]="AT+CIPCSGP=1,\"airtelgprs.com\"\r\n";//set csd or GPRS for Connection mode "ur GPRS provide address"
unsigned char s5[15]="AT+CSTT\r";//Start Task and set apn
unsigned char s6[15]="AT+CIICR\r";//Bring up wireless connection with GPRS or CSD
unsigned char s7[15]="AT+CIFSR\r"; // Get Local Ip Address "is assign for GPRS Modem"
code unsigned char s8[50]="AT+CIPSTART=\"TCP\",\"10.3.0.100\",\"5000\"\r\n";  // Start Up TCP or Udp Connection you need to specify your IP of server
unsigned char s9[15]="AT+CIPSEND\r\n"; //Send Datat Through TCP or UDP Connection
unsigned char sd[46]="193308950\r\n"; /

kindly please note that your need have SIM card with data service enabled on your SIM card.....and GPRS command that i posted are for Aritel .....

Good Luck

EIT direct to web (D2W) technology may be the perfect solution for your remote monitoring needs.
This technology utilises the GSM cell phone network to deliver data direct from field sites to a web server. The technology may prove very cost effective and practical in areas served by cell phone data services. Our GPRS technology eliminates the need for complex radio based telemetry networks and in-field data recorders.
Since data is sent direct from field sites to the Internet, your PC is turned into a 'virtual' data recorder.

Data is downloaded from the Internet using the EIT Data Recorder software. Once downloaded to your PC you can view and graph data or export to your third party software such as EnviroSCAN and IrriMAX if using this technology or soil moisture monitoring.

By utilising D2W, real time information can be obtained on sensor values, soil probe operation and system status.

The technology allows consultants, clients and customers to access the same data from sites located anywhere in the world where GPRS data services operate.

Our particular area of focus remains irrigation management in the agricultural sector. However, the technology has application in many areas of monitoring.

GPRS and the EIT Virtual Data Recorder

What is GPRS?

GPRS stands for General Packet Radio Service. This is a data service offered by cell phone carriers and operates in conjunction with voice cell phone services. Data services are offered in many parts of the world including here in Australia.

What is CDMA 1 X?

In Australia there are two types of cell phone networks. These are operated by a number of service providers or carriers. The two services in Australia are the GSM and the CDMA networks. Both networks offer data services. The CDMA data service is known as 1 X. EIT can offer both GSM and CDMA 1X compatible systems.

Who manages GPRS and CDMA 1 X data services?

These services are operated by cell phone carriers such as Telstra here in Australia.

The user will need to choose which of the two technologies is the preferred one. In our experience, both systems are similar in cost to set up. However, the ongoing data transfer costs for CDMA appears to be far less. Other issues influencing the decision will be area coverage. Your network provider should be able to advise on this.

How does EIT transmit field data?

Data is transmitted using special GPRS enabled data modems. These modems feature TCP/IP Internet protocols. These modems are connected to our D2W Intelligent Probe Controllers. The D2W IPC controllers provide the physical interface between the modem and field instrumentation such as soil probes, temperature sensors and others devices. It also controls the timing of data collection form the soil probes, data encryption, device identification and Internet protocols.

What is the format of the data?

The data held on the Internet site in a compressed and encrypted EIT format. This data is converted to standard dBase file on download to your computer. Our software will allow you to view this data or export in other formats such as Excel, Paradox, csv, ASCII text, and Sentek .sdb

How do I view the data?

You view the data using EIT data recorder software on your computer. You can also view the data using other software such as Excel, IrriMAX etc.

How much does it cost?

The cost of the service will vary from country to country. Using CDMA technology, typical ongoing costs in Australia are around $20 per month for a single probe system. The final cost will depend on choice of technology, and the amount of data transferred.

In addition to this there may be a charge to host the data. EIT can provide a hosting service on our server if required.

How many soil probes can be connected to one EIT transmitter?

You can connect up to three separate soil probes to the EIT device. You can also monitor other parameters such as temperature, water level, leaf wetness etc. Since three devices can be connected to the EIT unit then you could, for example, connect two soil probes and a temperature sensor to the one device.

What protocol does the EIT transmitter use for field devices?

The EIT technology currently supports SDI-12 and RS 485 protocols. Therefore our technology supports Sentek EnviroSMART, EasyAG and TriSCAN products and those from other manufactures offering sensors with these protocols.

What is the best protocol?

You can use either protocol. However RS 485 allows long cable runs for instrumentation located up to 500 meters from the D2W transmitter.

What are the advantages of this technology?

This technology may eliminate the need for costly and complex radio networks, radio base stations and field data recorders.
Consultants ( with password access ) can retrieve data on behalf of a client without the need for expensive travel or cell phone based downloads
Data is secure and password protected
Data is held on end users computer as well as the web site
Data held in the ' virtual ' recorder can be cleared after download by client
Data is owned by the grower or consultant or both, depending on agreement between distributor, consultant and your client.
This technology may offer an upgrade path for older in-field data logger systems.
How often is data sent to the Internet ' virtual ' data recorder from the field transmitter?

You can program the unit to send data as often as you like. For continuous soil moisture monitoring, data is generally collected from the probe at 15, 20, 30 or 60 minute intervals. We are in fact able to store up the data at the field site and send buffered, 15 minute data to the Internet just a few times a day if needed.

What happens if there is a problem with the cell phone network or web site?

The EIT field transmitter can automatically store data until the service is back on line. Once the network is up and running then the EIT transmitter will upload locally stored data to the Internet web host.

Where is the data stored?

Data is stored on an Internet domain such as **broken link removed**.

How do I retrieve my field data from the Internet?

Connect to the Internet as if you were viewing any other web site or sending an email. Then use EIT Data recorder software to download the data to your PC.

How long does it take to download data?

You can download one week of soil data from one site in about 10 seconds over a 56 K dial up Internet connection.

Does anyone else have access to my data?

No, your data is user ID and password protected.

How will EIT be offering this system?

EIT provide this technology in essentially three formats-

As a complete field ready unit (FRU), which includes, web enabled IPC controller, IP 66 steel enclosure, solar panel, battery, antenna, GSM or CDMA modem.
Web enabled IPC and GPRS modem.
Web enabled - IPC only
The user must provide a SIM card or service provider account, and if not using our FRU option, a secure and environmentally sound system for enclosing the components.

dear milind.a.kulkarni
can you please tell me how to send the data to server?
i think the server programming is required for accepting the data is it? i dont know the server programming, i just know the embedded system.
so please help me.

Last edited:

First of all,

Try plane TCP/IP server and client code with the same port number are you are using for GPRS command uses.

then replace client with GPRS service with same port number.

Kindly please note that in above example I was using 5000 port number.

with regards,

milind

dear miland.a.kulkarni
first i am thanking you.
you mean i need two gsm modules and one is server and another is slave and then transfer the data is it?
is there any way to use the hercules application for the tc/ip communication?
i just need to store the data in the server. thats my requirement.

I tried to use gsm modem as a server and faced problems that sometimes i couldnt even ping its Ip address, latter on I found that the Ip address are assigned to create VPN and it might not be accessible from everywhere. To solve this yu should either have a fixed Ip address which is acceable from outside of the network.

thank you sherazi
i just tried some free hosting sites like somee.com even i dont know the other programming languages. but i found that they are providing ip address corresponding to the web address that we create. but it needs the code to accept the data that we are sending. i tried a application called hercules (**broken link removed** the gsm modem i set the apn and then tried to communicate with the ip of the pc that im using (found with whatismyip.com) and tried to send the data but the data is not seen in the hercules. i also tried the ip on the first page of hercules.
please help

Status
Not open for further replies.