Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to power on Sim908 breakout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejade

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought sim908 breakout (https://www.open-electronics.org/localizer-with-sim908-module/) but without the breakout board which has microcontroller. I have connected VCC (pin 17, 19), GND (pin 18, 20), TXD (pin 12) and RXD (pin 14). The power (ON/OFF) pin is 1 but how to invoke the module to turn on?
Do I have to connect it to positive terminal or negative terminal?

I want to test the module whether it is okay or not using AT command (AT ---> response: OK) using serial communication.

Thanks

I have only used the SIM900 module , but I assume they are similar. You need to turn on the module by holding the on button for about 500mS. In your case , pin 1 high.
I think the unit defaults to autoboard , you should see some characters coming out of the serial port on power up.
Sending "AT" to the serial port sets up the autoboard. You may have to do this a few times , until you get a reply of "OK"
Cheers
Neddie.

Hi Neddie,

What do you mean by pin 1 high?

Look at the schematic from the link you poster. The power pin for the sim908 is pin3. It's driven by a transistor(open collector) , which you have to drive high to turn on.
The transistor is going to pin1.

Thanks Neddie. The pin 1 just need to be supplied with power only.

Status
Not open for further replies.