+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Advanced Member level 3
    Points: 5,117, Level: 16

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Epping, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    973
    Helped
    5 / 5
    Points
    5,117
    Level
    16

    Transistor selection question

    Given the series BC547, BC549 and BC548....


    The only difference form the data sheet is the voltage rating so given an input voltage a 12V what is the advantage, if any, of choosing BC549 over BC547 concerning the low or high noise?

    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  2. #2
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 11,015, Level: 25

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Helped
    637 / 637
    Points
    11,015
    Level
    25

    Re: Transistor selection question

    Quote Originally Posted by boylesg View Post
    The only difference form the data sheet is the voltage rating....
    Look again. Noise figure is also specified in most datasheets. Some have graphs of NF vs Ic as well.



    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  3. #3
    Advanced Member level 3
    Points: 5,117, Level: 16

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Epping, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    973
    Helped
    5 / 5
    Points
    5,117
    Level
    16

    Re: Transistor selection question

    Quote Originally Posted by godfreyl View Post
    Look again. Noise figure is also specified in most datasheets. Some have graphs of NF vs Ic as well.
    Yeah I did notice the 'low noise' thing associated with BC549. But can you tell me why you would opt for a low noise transistor as opposed to one with a higher voltage rating assuming that the in input voltage is below the threshold of all 3 transistors - BC447, BC548m and BC549.

    It is not particularly important for anything I am doing at present but I would like to fill in gaps in my knowledge.



    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  4. #4
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 11,015, Level: 25

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Helped
    637 / 637
    Points
    11,015
    Level
    25

    Re: Transistor selection question

    When dealing with very weak signals, e.g. in a microphone preamp, using a low noise transistor helps to minimize the noise added to the signal. Noise in audio signals sounds like hiss - it's what you hear from an FM radio when it's tuned between stations (or to a very weak station).



  5. #5
    Advanced Member level 3
    Points: 5,117, Level: 16

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Epping, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    973
    Helped
    5 / 5
    Points
    5,117
    Level
    16

    Re: Transistor selection question

    Quote Originally Posted by godfreyl View Post
    When dealing with very weak signals, e.g. in a microphone preamp, using a low noise transistor helps to minimize the noise added to the signal. Noise in audio signals sounds like hiss - it's what you hear from an FM radio when it's tuned between stations (or to a very weak station).
    OK makes sense....next question......inside the transistor what causes the noise or lack of noise.......briefly?


    1 members found this post helpful.

    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  6. #6
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 11,015, Level: 25

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Helped
    637 / 637
    Points
    11,015
    Level
    25

    Re: Transistor selection question

    No idea. Try Google?



--[[ ]]--