Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring Indvidual Values of Inductance Across Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiques

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to measure the inductance of my microstrip PCB from 1 to 100MHz. It is already designed and matched to have a 50 ohm characteristic impedance and has SMA connectors on it. Is the the reactance (imaginary reading) from the Smith chart plot across this band from a vector network analyzer the same as what I would measure from an LCR meter (such as the Agilent E4982A)?

In a first order estimation, trace inductance will be frequency independant, of course the transmission line segment must be shorter than λ/4 to expose an inductance.

The largest incertainty in inductance measurement respectively definition will be created by the necessity to select a reference plane. Similarly, when using a regular RLC meter, the problem is how to interface the inductance and what you consider as a correct short calibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back