Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unstable Output from 16bit ADC (ADS7825)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilsigma

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am trying to make a precise voltmeter(upto 1mV) using a 16bit ADC [ ADS7825 : https://www.ti.com/product/ads7825 ] and a pic micro. Which I will calibrate with an bench multimeter in my lab. I have interfaced the ADC in parallel mode. And I am getting the output almost as desired.. I have made the circuit on the breadboard, and it might be producing some noise(i am not sure about it). I am using channel zero as input and all other channels are grounded. Also since the circuit is built on one breadboard, the analog and digital grounds are also same.

But the problem is that the output of the circuit is not stable. I am getting a variation of about 200mV !!! :-?
Below is the pic and video of my circuit showing output on LCD. 1st line on LCD shows the voltage measured and 2nd line shows the 16bit binary data received from the ADC. In video the analog input is connected to +5V supply. which have a large 470uF capacitor to ground.

DSC_0015.jpg

I don't know whats the problem, PLEASE HELP...

I have connected the ADC in simple parallel mode as given in it's data sheet....also shown below...

circuit.png

also there is a big capacitor(470uF) at between the +5V power supply and ground( so as to remove noise in supply voltage)..and I have connected input of my ADC to that supply itself(while taking the video).

Note: ADC can take input voltage from -10V to +10V.

It's very difficult to get low noise on a solder-less breadboard with a mixed-signal circuit, no ground plane, grounds tied together, and long overlapping interconnect wires. The basic rule is that digital signals always wants to join the analog. 200mV analog noise would not be unexpected with your layout.

If you really need lower noise then you need to use a well laid-out PCB or soldered breadboard with separate analog and digital ground planes tied together at one point and isolated analog and digital supply busses. Read the "Layout" section on page 15 of the ADS7825 data sheet.

Hi,
I am trying to make a precise voltmeter(upto 1mV) using a 16bit ADC [ ADS7825 : https://www.ti.com/product/ads7825 ] and a pic micro. Which I will calibrate with an bench multimeter in my lab. I have interfaced the ADC in parallel mode. And I am getting the output almost as desired.. I have made the circuit on the breadboard, and it might be producing some noise(i am not sure about it). I am using channel zero as input and all other channels are grounded. Also since the circuit is built on one breadboard, the analog and digital grounds are also same.

But the problem is that the output of the circuit is not stable. I am getting a variation of about 200mV !!! :-?
Below is the pic and video of my circuit showing output on LCD. 1st line on LCD shows the voltage measured and 2nd line shows the 16bit binary data received from the ADC. In video the analog input is connected to +5V supply. which have a large 470uF capacitor to ground.

View attachment 87548

I don't know whats the problem, PLEASE HELP...

how did you solve your problem then?
I am facing the same problem . i am using the ads7825 in serial mode... and the output varies by some 700mV which is not correct. i have made the circuit on a general purpose PCB board and connected it with a 8051 microcontroller kit.
if you solved the problem, what arrangements did you make for analog and digital power and analog and digital grounds? did you follow the procedure and connections given on page 15 of the datasheet or did you do something else. others may also reply if they have any ideas or suggestions.
thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.