Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Efficiency of Analog IC Designing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gevy

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

There are two ways of Analog IC Designing.
The first way.
One designer develops the electric circuit, carry out simulation and layout.
The second way.
One designer develops the electric circuit and carry out simulation but the layout is drawn by other designer.
What way of designing is better for analog chips?

if you want to do better performance, the first one is better.
but for efficiency the latter one is a good choice looks like pipeline

I use the first way and despite I hate to develop layout I consider it is better for design.
First I know all critical things about design and I don't need to explain that to anybody. I don't care about accuracy of some blocks and elaborate layout for another critical blocks. I care about noise, shielding and parasitic coupling not for everywhere but only where it is reasonable.
Second I can change design on the fly if I see it will be better for layout.
Third I can change layout without any complain if I find better design idea during layout development.

I would like to choose the second .

The first is better, at least for me since I understand the circuit thoroughtly.

both two have its own characters,hehe
the first means labor,
so it just depends

I think pipeline is the trend.

Nowadays being expert in every field is very hard. So, I think the second method is better if both are expert in their work.

For my company, circuit designer only do designing and monitor the layout.
Our layout enginers are very expert in layout. We can talk each other about the layout and decide the best way to be layout. As the result, we can get fast and better products.

For yourself. The first is the better
You layout it. you know how to match. well. you have the better product

In Universities,we choose the first one
In Companies,the second is more prefered

I think the second way will be more efficient, coz many different skills are needed in either circuit design or layout design. It could last a very long time for someone to develop and grasp both of them.

Rgs.

Both of them is ok.

It depond on you intresting.

in my view, if you do analog ic design, doing more is better

Hi

i prefer analog designer should know both design and layout.

my mentor said that he has never layout a circuit since he receive his PH.D. He just told the layout engineer which two transistor should be placed closely or should be matched quite well ...... etc.

It isn't that the layout is yor career but you must understand the layout.

For digital design, layout can be generated by an independent source or software and this is very efficient. For analogue and RF this is very dangerous. The analogue designer must know layout, the pitfalls, the common practises, the best practises. Relying on a 3rd party or software is asking for disaster.
ESD, Noise Isolation, Jitter etc is almost all down to layout and can be process specific. No layout engineer or software can be ready for this.
It is like an architect. You can design anything you like but try place the bricks in order .... !

It is a good question, but hard to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back