Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any issues feeding output of a boost regulator into a buck regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corp666

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a device that is currently powered from a "wall wart" power supply (@15V). It's basically four strings of high brightness LED's. Each string is controlled by a constant current buck LED driver - everything works OK.

I've been asked about the feasibility of making an add-on module to let the device be powered by battery, while retaining the ability to plug it into the wall wart supply when possible.

Rather than do a major redesign to a buck-boost or something like that, I thought a quick and easy solution would be to design a power pack with batteries and a boost converter that would just output 15V. This has the added advantage of letting me use alkaline, NiCD, NiMH or Li-Ion cells but still get the same Vout.

On the one hand, this seems like it should be no problem, since our wall-wart is already doing a buck conversion - so I don't see issues mixing various switching regulators. On the other hand, I figured I'd ask before I start working on some designs in case there's something I am missing.

So, is there any issue using a boost converter to feed into a buck converter, other than the efficiency loss? Anything special I ought to look out for? Or does anyone have any creative suggestions on this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.