Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC to control PWM signal - DC/DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

devonsc

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pwm to dc converter

Hi there,

I'm working on a boost DC/DC converter to charge a 12V sealed lead acid battery from a solar panel at the moment. Basically, I've replaced the BJT with MOSFET and the diode with a Schottky Diode. Apart from all this, how do I further increase the efficiency of my DC/DC converter?

I will be feeding the MOSFET with a PWM signal from a PIC Microcontroller. Is there anything that I can do with the PWM signal to obtain a maximum power point at the output of the boost DC/DC converter? Should I control the PWM signal by getting some feedback from the battery to control the step-up voltage level? By doing so, am I improving the efficiency of the boost DC/DC converter? If yes, mind to suggest on how can I get it done? Please?

Any advice? Help really needed...Thanks in advance...

pwm dc dc converter

I have planned to do the same fore some time, but hasn't come to it yet. I have however an old articel that descripes how to do a MPPT with a LTC1149. The article describes exactly what you need to do, but in a analog fashion. I dont think the articel still is on the net, so I'll attach it here.

Hope this helps, If you make any progress pls let us know!

/Froggy

pic boost converter

devonsc: I just found a guy doing exactly what you are asking for!, look at http://www.timnolan.com/

Hope this helps

/Froggy

ltc1149 mppt

Go to Linear-Tech.com
Download their free SwitcherCad III Program.
You'll find what you need in their example designs

controle pwm com pic

I think using a MCU as a boost controller is not so proper because some protection is required like max switch current, over voltage protection, etc. If cost is a main concern, there are a lot of low cost boost controller like Torex, Sipex, etc.

www.edaboard.com ftopic99450

Thanks a lot for all the guidance...Really, thanks a lot.

But it is going to take me sometime to read them, hopefully you guys don't mind me posting my feedback later about my progress as I'm currently having exam.

Thanks again...Thank you very much.

dc-dc converter with pic

You could also look at this guy's thesis.
Code:
http://innovexpo.itee.uq.edu.au/1999/thesis/lei/index.html#thesis/lei/index.html

dc dc converter pwm microcontroller

Thanks a lot...Really mean it. Thank you very very much for your concern on my post. It will take me sometime to read up all these...Hopefully you guys don't mind me posting questions again if there is any doubts.

*sigh* Lots to learn...

Thanks again.

dc/dc contriler a pic

Hi there,

Would like to ask about the datasheet of the PIC that I'm currently using (PIC 16F876). Do you guys mind to explain how do I refer to the attached datasheet? This is part of the datasheet that I've downloaded for reference. It seems that this is the page that refers to 16F876 (as shown at the top of the page). However, it states that I shouldn't refer to it at the bottom? (as circled in red).

Need help...Confused

pwm dc converter

However, it states that I shouldn't refer to it at the bottom? (as circled in red)
Don't be supprised but note 1 means the PortD and PortE Registers. The 16F876 has not enough pins to have this to ports. So the registers have an adress but you can nothing do with this cause they are not physically there!
But you can use the other Ports or change to the next bigger PIC think 16F877 with more pins and also PortD and PortE.

Kuehnsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back