Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help designing shielding to block RF interference in implanted Spinal Cord Stimulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymat

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I am hoping that you guys can help me. I am getting a Boston Scientific Precision Series Spinal Cord Stimulator. This device generates a programmed series of impulses and discharges them at a designated point along the spinal cord. It is intended for chronic intractable pain - and works wonders for patients. The manufacturer states that the device is likely to be "adversely affected" by devices such as security scanners, arc and mig welders, even the possible automatic door. When quizzing the factory rep, the answer I get is that it is possible to induce currents into the leads that can lead to abnormal sensations or shock sensations. They advise turning the device off around these devices - especially welders. I weld on a "recreational" level and I am not too willing to turn the device off and do this in pain now if I don't have to. The last education I had on this subject was Physics 208 - so I am aware that signal blocking is completely possible. I am thinking I could essentially wear a faraday cage while around these devices. Without getting into specific frequencies, could I get away with wearing a copper or aluminum-lined vest? Would the coverage really be required to be continuous (all the way around) or could it be more like a body armor vest where there are plates covering the pulse generator, the leads, and the contacts? I imagine this is a relatively easy topic for you guys. My friends and I have struggled - but we're all structural engineers. I really appreciate any information you can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back