Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

component selection for RF circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

per_lube

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
component dimension selection for RF circuits

Hi,

Got two questions,

1. Is there a general rule for selecting dimensions of components for RF circuits?
I've heard lumped component dimensions should be less than lambda/10 at the operating frequency... is that true?

2. Can we have holes in a metal package of a microwave circuit which will not allow to leak RF signals?
dimensions of the holes in terms of lamda? < lambda/10, <lambda/20 etc?

cheers,
per_lube

i think size of component depends on the power they can handle 1/4Watt resistor must be smaller than 1Watt one. with same freq. but high Power requirement you will have to use a bigger one no matter how it effects lamda/10 or else!!
as a general rule use smallest package component that at the same time can handle required power, it is good for space minichrization point of view.

Power dissipation is one concern, but with regards to component sizing I'm usually concerned about how size effects signal losses and circuit accuracy. For example if I'm at 500MHz are 1008 packages still okay, or should I move down to 0805 or smaller? On one hand my components will probably behave more like they should with their marked values, but on the other hand they will have lower Q and more loss. So how do you know when to make the switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back