Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with UART. Need to test UART with variable baud rate on altera de2 115 board

Status
Not open for further replies.

satty_008

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Problem with UART code in VHDL... Please Help

process (rst, clk, cycle_wait)
variable wait_clk_cycles : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR ((nBitsLarge-1) downto 0);
variable half_cycle : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR ((nBitsLarge-1) downto 0);
begin
if rst = '1' then
wait_clk_cycles := (others => '0');
half_cycle := '0' & cycle_wait(cycle_wait'high downto 1);
genTick <= '0';

Can anyone please explain the highlighted line.

Also what is meant by oversampling with refrence to UART?

Last edited:

I presume you don't expect anybody to explain the meaning of this arbitrary code snippet.

'0' & cycle_wait(cycle_wait'high downto 1) is a concatenation operation, a usual way to combine bits and bit vector selections to a new bit vector.

In this case it's setting the leftmost bit to zero and copying all except the rightmost bit of cyccle_wait to the result. In other words, it's a logical right shift.

I presume you don't expect anybody to explain the meaning of this arbitrary code snippet.

'0' & cycle_wait(cycle_wait'high downto 1) is a concatenation operation, a usual way to combine bits and bit vector selections to a new bit vector.

In this case it's setting the leftmost bit to zero and copying all except the rightmost bit of cyccle_wait to the result. In other words, it's a logical right shift.

Thank you... That was helpful.. :):)

could you also please tell me what is meant by oversampling ?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back