Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Current Variable Power Supply Using LM317 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I need to build 5AMP Power supply with constant current and variable voltage. Actually problem is i cannot get more than 1.5A from single LM317 so how to use it ? Can i use those parallel with 1 single Variable Resistor ? please guide me for some specific circuit.....which could help me to get 5AMP or +

Awaiting reply..

Should it be a high side or low side constant current source? Switching or linear regulation at what voltage range? For a high end 5A current regulator there is an application in the old NSC datasheet(page 18:http://www.ee.buffalo.edu/courses/elab/LM117.pdf ). For low side constant current sources you might lock a laser driver iCs.

Enjoy your design work!

Should it be a high side or low side constant current source? Switching or linear regulation at what voltage range? For a high end 5A current regulator there is an application in the old NSC datasheet(page 18:http://www.ee.buffalo.edu/courses/elab/LM117.pdf ). For low side constant current sources you might lock a laser driver iCs.

Enjoy your design work!

Hello,

I need high side driver, i just need simple Power Supply for my Projects. But i have LM317 Available here and i want to use 4-5AMP from LM317 i heard about Pass transistor which could take upto 5Amp while using with LM317 power transistor like TIP127 will work ? for that ?

Reactions: DrWhoF

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

thanks alot :) i hope it will work :p i have TIP127 :p ready..

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

Maybe the LM338 is another option: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm138.pdf .

Enjoy your design work!

Dear,

my first try was LM338K, but its heat is too much....so i dont prefer that now....it was getting heated even with large heat sink i donno there was any issue with my circuit or whatever it was....but at high temperature it was not able to drive 2AMP Load with big heatsink too...

- - - Updated - - -

i have TIP127 available with me so can i use 2 of them parallel to equal to TIP147 ?

i have TIP127 available with me so can i use 2 of them parallel to equal to TIP147 ?

2 TIPs 127 (or more) is a good idea ...
Don’t forget about base-current-equalizing-resistors and mount them (TIP127) on a decent heat sink :grin:

:wink:
IanP

Reactions: DrWhoF

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Don’t forget about base-current-equalizing-resistors and mount them (TIP127) on a decent heat sink :grin:

IanP

IanP

how to connect ? two or more TIP127 ? In parellel ? you mean to say connect base to base collector to collector and emitter to emitter ? like that way ?

is this circuit ok ? like this way ? 4X TIP127 parallel ? to support upto 20A max...

Status
Not open for further replies.