Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

narrow beam pir sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmandl

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there!
I am starting a project for home stairlight. Like this. Now I don't have an idea, how to implement sensor for first and last step. My stairs are not enclosed, so I would need a very narrow beam sensor. Is any PIR sensor apropriate for this job? Or how could I done this any other way?

The actual PIR element in most PIR sensors is the same. BUT, its the fresnel lens (the while plastic dome) that determines the angle of operation. So, you'd just have to look up the specs of the variuos sensors available from your source. I had also seen ads for just the lenses, to be chosen for the angle yu desire, although unfortunately I cant seem to remember where.

Regards,

Reactions: bmandl

bmandl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
**broken link removed** one is supposed to has removable lens. If I remove lens and not put on any others, will sensor still work? Will then suit my needs as narrow beam?

bmandl

The tape trick does work but obviously reduces overall sensitivity. Remember that a PIR sensor normally has a flat front surface so without a lens it has extremely wide angle of response, as stated, it's the lens that narrows it down. Also bear in mind that most PIR sensors work by monitoring a differential signal from areas on their surface so in order to work the IR illumination must not fall equally across the whole area.

Brian.

bmandl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back