Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basics on making PCBs : New Questions from a rookie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkace

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tsien boardmaker

Hi all!
I tried to gather info in the PCB forum but I couldn't find something to satisfy me . This is because I am a complete rookie on making PCB with very basic questions. Is there something I could read or view ( preferable e-book or quick course or something) to understand how to make PCBs? I tried the Orcad (.2 lessons but to many unknown things in ther - you now understand my level -!
Thanks

D.

Re: Basics on making PCBs

Ok people, thanks very much, the links are really healpfull. I am a begginer and I don't have special "requests on PCB design". So I think I will use your offer to help later FoxyRick!

Something regarding the software: I use Orcad 9.2 . Even if eagle is an easy to use programm, I would like to stay in Orcad Suite. Do you think I will manage, or is it better to start with Eagle?
D.

Basics on making PCBs

if you don't have any problem go on to use orcad...
if you are new in orcad i suggest to you use eagle...
and some day if you will have to buy a pcb program
consider their prices...

Basics on making PCBs

olemp it is not matter of prices or/and easiness using Eagle. I think what is important is that idustry uses a lot more OrCAD than Eagle. It is not matter of favoring Cadence but honestly OrCAD Layout has much features industry needs and Eagle does not.

Eagle is good for an hobbyist, honestly, if you really are pursuing a career as electronic engineer you better learn to use OrCAD rather than Eagle.

what do you think about Protel. is it better than Orcad?

protel even has simulation capabilities and you can even simulate firmware on PIC microcontrollers.

djalli said:
olemp it is not matter of prices or/and easiness using Eagle. I think what is important is that idustry uses a lot more OrCAD than Eagle. It is not matter of favoring Cadence but honestly OrCAD Layout has much features industry needs and Eagle does not.

Eagle is good for an hobbyist, honestly, if you really are pursuing a career as electronic engineer you better learn to use OrCAD rather than Eagle.

sorry...i could't look at the affair from that aspect...from that aspect you are right..
probable users of the orcad are more than eagle...but eagle also using in industry by the proffessional companies... if you download the eagle brochure:

you can see some customers of the eagle....

Just a few of our customers
3M, AEG, Airbus, AMD, AMP, Amphenol-Tuchel, AT&T, Audi, BASF, Bayer,
Black&Decker, BMW, Caltech, Daimler Chrysler, DFW International Airport,
Du Pont, Eastman Kodak, Goodyear, Grundig, Hewlett-Packard, Hitachi,
Honeywell, Hughes, IBM, Intel, ITT, Lockheed, Lufthansa, Mercedes,
Motorola, Minox, NASA, National Semiconductor, NCR, NEC, Nokia, Philips.

Hi again!
I have now the Eagle 4.13 and the tutorial and I am trying to learn the basics. Here is a problem I encountered:

I draw a schematic. ERC is ok and I save it in my hard disk under the file:..\examples\ttutorial\New_Project1\TestProject1.sch
When I try to access it it returns a Load error 289 .
At first I thought it is a conflict between spice schematic editor and EAGLEs one, but no: The other .sch tutorial files can be accessed.
Can anybody give me some guidence?

Some other questions:
a. What is a gerber tool? What does it do excactly ( and what does gerber means? That's right english is not my first language)

b. I understand what the layers are for. But let's say I want to have the position of the components on the top and the wiring on the bottom . All these will be viewed in the same board file? Is there any other destinction between them?

c. Are there any complementary libraries I can download or find ? Do I have to do this from the companies or from CADSoft?

These for warming up, tomorrow I will come back with some more!

Thanks,
D

Hi dkace...i coludn't understant your problem exactly but you can take more help from here:

from "Technical Support " you will find a good support...
also if you follow the tutors in the given link (h**p://hobby_elec.piclist.com/) you will find the most answers...
with gerber tool you can create drill, mask and pcb gerber files(for layers) and pcb manufucturers uses these files to create your pcb...

addtional library can downloaded from:

Hi

From my opinion u may use boardmaker (BM) , for making pcb . it is easy.
thanks

Yes I have the windows verson. and it will so easy to convert with illustrator and print any laser printer. where i can upload boardmaker ? please let know.

allways intrasting topic :)

i suggest that you start from very basic level and after that youll be very fast learn many of pcb "secret" :)

bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back