Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diodes & Rectification - best practice or superstition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juz_ad

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Hello,

I'm reassessing some decisions I made a while back regarding IO best practice - particularly with regard to my half-wave rectification circuit and specifically that diodes should be kept away from external inputs.

A) shows my current set-up where IC1A is an input at 100K impedance for an external source that could be AC or DC and anywhere between approx. +/-10V at anything from 20KHz down to LFO/Gate on a +/-12V supply. This feeds a half-wave rectifier which feeds a buffer. Nice stout input, dedicated half-wave rectifier, nice stout output (at 1K impedance).

So - ignoring the inversion path - is there any reason why I shouldn't just use B) with R5 setting the input impedance and
R9 setting the output impedance?

And a follow up question - any reason why I shouldn't swap the 914s for 4148s? Seems like 4148s come in many more package sizes than the 914.

I've got it breadboarded here in isolation and it seems to be working just fine...

Thanks,

J

Attachments

• hwr_variations_01.jpg
    hwr_variations_01.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 86

i can't see any obvious reason not to. Though you could use schottkys instead, and so (i think) ease up on the opamp specs a bit. The regular 4148 7 914's with ~0.7 would require a higher slew on the opamp ... would they not ?

The output impedance of the rectifier stage (i.e. at the node of cathode of the output diode) is very low in the conducting half-wave but high (the value of the feedback resistor) in the other one.
The output buffer avoids that the load or the following stage "raises" the output voltage.
On the other side, I consider that (except for inversion and gain) the input stage could be avoided.
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.