Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buried Capacitance in PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenXtr

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all..

I see buried capacitance in a pcb design file for the first time.
Anyone have a quick explain on it?
How do i deal with it?

[original story]
I get the pcb file from a customer.
and i saw this in the layer stack note.

Any thing i need to do about it?
how do i advise PCB maker?
[end of story]

Maybe this is optional part, they show this part in some layer, or maybe this is simple mistake of PCB designer, but for sure to eliminate misunderstandings contact customer about this.

Power/GND plane layers create burried capacitance, this requires a thin dialectric between the planes and is required for high speed designs.

I'm just curious which parts they bury in layers, is this standard part or specially designed, and what they get in space if they bury few parts, except of PCB identification parts or other security EEPROMs/Flash data cases?

BURIED CAPACITANCE

http://www.ddmconsulting.com/Design_Guides/bcguide.pdf
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
http://www.sanmina.com/pdf/solutions/bc.pdf

The chances are at the moment that he was talking about buried capacitance and not buried components, buried component boards are very expensive (very) and the only ones I have seen are for very high vibration envoironment, rocket powered devices; whereas buried Capacitance is a commonly used method of creating distributed capacitance using the PCB structure, thin dialectrics and power planes.If you read the OP's first post the request for buried capacitance was part of the layer structure so it is as the links above describe, creating it with the PCB layer structure.
If you want to see what components can be emmebdded withing the PCB have a look at Wurth Elektronics PCB site.

Last edited:
Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
BURIED CAPACITANCE

http://www.ddmconsulting.com/Design_Guides/bcguide.pdf
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
http://www.sanmina.com/pdf/solutions/bc.pdf

The chances are at the moment that he was talking about buried capacitance and not buried components, buried component boards are very expensive (very) and the only ones I have seen are for very high vibration envoironment, rocket powered devices; whereas buried Capacitance is a commonly used method of creating distributed capacitance using the PCB structure, thin dialectrics and power planes.If you read the OP's first post the request for buried capacitance was part of the layer structure so it is as the links above describe, creating it with the PCB layer structure.
If you want to see what components can be emmebdded withing the PCB have a look at Wurth Elektronics PCB site.

This is very good materials for explanations of this.

Thanks Marce

I use burried capacitance a lot on very high speed designs, it does help a lot.

Hi all..

How do i deal with it?

[original story]

[end of story]

You can forward to your PCB maker directly, their engineers will see it when open the file.
Our PCB engineerrs will do so, they will inspect all the designs before start the production.

Regards,
Lynn

the maker engineer will advice you if there is any problem about the design.
Hi all..

How do i deal with it?

[original story]

[end of story]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com