Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear Power Supply - Purchase, Variable Transformer, Transformer Array???

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiques

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My goal is to have a linear power supply which with a (-) rail for the purpose of experimenting with battery charging and power amplifiers.

I have had unfortunate experience with switched power supplies because they are not very good when it comes to charging my high current batteries or heating element equipment.

I'm debating whether I should purchase a variable transformer, using an array of left over transformers in my lab or purchasing a power supply. Does anyone have any experience or opinions regarding my options?

Thanks for any guidance.

what is your main purpose Battery charging or testing of amplifiers ? there are power supplies with two independent controls in single unit .

what is your main purpose Battery charging or testing of amplifiers ? there are power supplies with two independent controls in single unit .

Priority:

1. Experimenting with battery chargers
  2. Power Amplifiers

I made my homebrew power supply from a 12V 3A transformer, with center tap.
Ordinary full-wave diode bridge.
4,700 uF smoothing capacitor.

It is variable from 0 to 16V, by means of adjusting bias through a 2N3055 transistor. It is heat-sunk to the steel enclosure. It gets hot enough to burn my finger when I crank up the power.

The meter is switchable between showing volts and amperes.

I added a second adjustable supply in case I wanted to configure it for bipolar operation, or to obtain 6VAC for cooler operation at reduced volt output.
Mostly I just use it as a current-limited supply with a 220 ohm resistor screwed down against the post.

I have a 2.5 A variac which I have used a few times for odd purposes. But come to think of it, there would be nothing wrong with using it to vary the DC output. There would be no need for a transistor getting hot.

120 V at 2.5 A makes 300 W.
Going through a 12V transformer could conceivable deliver 25 A.

Have a setup more or less like BradtheRad,but I use the Variac (Var. trafo.) extensively. It works very well for me,

Status
Not open for further replies.