Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Safety issue in battery circuit and use of oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipnirvana

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi , I have a little doubt ,

I want to test my circuit which is powered with 12V, 200Ah battery(VRLA) and check the outputs on oscilloscope. While testing can I connect battery -ve to the oscilloscope ground?

Is there any safety risk, as oscilloscope internally connected to safety earth(PE)? If I connect to battery's negative terminal, it will be connected to earth. Will it cause any hazard?Will there is accidental chance of short .

Regards,
Dipnirvana

You should use appropriate scope probe (voltage divider) let say x10. Ground goes to battery negative.

Just pay attention what you connect to battery, because if there is small resistance or short circuit, battery, specially big battery like that can deliver lots of amperage for short time. 200Ah (if starter type) can deliver over 1000A in one moment.

Since your battery is essentially floating, there is no problem connecting either terminal to ground.

Assuming that 1) The battery -ve is the ground line of your circuit and 2) There's no connection with mains AC power, then there shouldn't be any problem.

We can be more certain if you give details of your circuit, preferably with a circuit diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back