Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Relay/Switch Electromechanically Auto Control - need control method recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzikhaim

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
I have a project which is to design a system for RF switching.
The control of the switching should be done automatically using a control interface via a PC program.
The RF switch is a simple SPDT (Single Pole Double Through; known is 1 to 2 relay) which deliver an RF power to the appropriate state (Common port to port 1 or port 2).
When trying to design the system for that I noticed for few types of Relays/Switches one of them and the most wide used is the regular relay which have Power input terminals of 28V – the control is done when closing a 28V voltage between a Common and a chosen terminal (say no. 2) so the actuator will be closed and to pass the RF into path no. 2 – while there are other type which have instead of 28V input a TTL (5V) control inputs which activate the correspondence actuator but using a simple logic driver – the former type of relays are more common in more in-stock the later one.
My question is, even though I prefer using the simple TTL type for the Relays (using a readymade controller board with integrated I/O pins for simple control over software) – what would be a recommended relay + current driver if we will work in the non-TTL type relay and will try to control the 28V from a PC?

As far as i understand, the 28V are used to power the actuator...and you want to control via PC PIN which gives 5V. you can use a simple optocoupler to switch 28V using your computer PIN. If current requirement of the actuator is high you can cascade a darlington to drive it or use single pole double through relay to switch your RF relay (assuming the switching frequency is not high)

goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back