Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS - trying to find S-paramters of an open N plug at reference plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeboraHarry

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HFSS - trying to find S-parameters of an open N plug at reference plane

I'm looking for a cheap way to make an "open" standard for a VNA calibration kit. One way is to just leave the N plug open. Agilent's FieldFox range of portable VNAs have an optional "QuickCal" which uses the RF connector as an open termination, with no need for a mechanical caibration kit. You just have to tell the VNA what connector you have (N, 3.5 mm, APC-7, 7/16 etc) and what sex it is. This is not as accurate as a mechanical calibration kit, but is often good enough.

Obviously the N plug is not a perfect open - it is impossible to make a perfect open circuit. There will be fringing capacitance.

So my aim was to model the N plug in HFSS, and then find the how the fringing capacitance varies with frequency. I intended drawing the N plug as a bit of air-dielectric 50 Ohm line, which tapers towards the end, like a male N plugs inner conductor does.

Is there a way I can put a waveport on one end of the coax, but find the S parameters at the reference plane of the N connector, rather than where the waveport is?

I believe one of the assumptions when using a waveport are that the fields have "settled down" so

How long should the bit of coax be in order that I can accuratley predict what would happen at the reference plane? If the length of the coax was say 20x the diameter, would that be sufficient?

BTW, for the N connector, the reference plane is defined as the mating surfaces of the outer conductor - see **broken link removed**
Deborah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back