Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle pro....4 layer board and via types?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,

I am doing a 4 layer board in Eagle, ...supposing i want to track down from top layer to the next layer down........do i have to use a blind via?...or can i use a through via which only electrically connects to the next layer down?

its just that i hear that through vias are cheaper than blind vias

Also, do you know how to specify 4 layers and through vias to any layer?...is it (1*2) + ( 15* 16) ?

Normally I use vias which can connect to any layer - blind and buried vias increase the cost considerably and I can usually manage without them. Even having smaller vias costs less than going to blind/buried.

I cannot remember the layer definitions and cannot check until Tuesday but I think it is 1+2*15+16 but could be 1*2+15*16. I suspect either way would work.

Keith

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks Keith,

I am not sure what prepreg is......i always thought it was just the wafer thin layer of adhesive which gets used to glue the copper to the FR4 core....

But either "*" or "+" stands for "prepreg"...i cant think why

i cant think why
Apart from "why", the Eagle 6.0 manual explains the board stackup syntax very detailed.

I see that the manual shows many examples of stacks with buried and blind vias. They shouldn't be misunderstood as design suggestions, I think.

Blind vias are drilled together with the through vias after the layer stack has been assembled. In so far they don't depend on the core and prepreg sequence. The standard 4-layer stackup uses a single core.

Blind vias are rather unusual for 4-layer PCB, but possible though. I guess, you'll want to ask your PCB manufacturer for the surcharge first.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back