Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Build easy MPLAB-6 ICD-2 for PIC18F2550

Status
Not open for further replies.
failed mplab icd2 operation

and this is a pic of the board i've realised, maybe the footprint of transistors isn't the more simple to realised wihout good material....

icd2 vpp high

I have successful to build ICD 2 from **broken link removed** and I tested with MPLAB7 it work .

icd2 usb clone

Salam,

Did anyone try this debugger with ccs pcwh?

Thanks very much

mplab ic2 update firmware

I used ICD2 from h**p://www.stolz.de.be/ and debug with CCS+MPLAP7 it work.

mplab target

Hi,
I'd like to share the way I solved an ICD2 Clone problem that somebody could find useful.

My Stolz-style ICD2 clone using PIC16F877A was working with PIC16xxx as target device but as soon as I tried to change the device to PIC12, PIC18 or dsPIC(MPLAB automatically loading different OS) I had a problem similar to the one indicated above by gsteve:

Code:
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICDWarn0030: MPLAB ICD2 is about to download a new operating system.  If MPLAB IDE is just starting, it will appear to "hang" at the splash screen.  Please be patient. MPLAB IDE will finish it's intialization after the OS is downloaded.  (Note: You may wish to select to ignore this warning in the future.)
Downloading Operating System
...Connected
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
...Download Operating System Succeeded
ICD0024: Failed to write to Com Port ($7F00
? (MPLABCOM = 0x0) (USBCOM = 0x0) (0x0)
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

I supposed the problem was related to the fact that my programmer(Homemade ElCheapo with WinPIC software) couldn't for some reason properly load the BootLoader to the PIC, but I hadn't another programmer to try.

I spent quite a long time trying different solutions (I even re-built the board) then I solved using the ICD2 Clone itself to correctly load the bootloader to the PIC in the following way:
- with my ElCheapo programmer I loaded the bootloader+pic16 OS: icd661.hex (google for it) to a first PIC16F877A that I placed into the ICD2 Clone (internal PIC);
- then I connected and powered on the ICD2 Clone;
- in MPLAB (7.00) menu: Programmer -> Select Programmer -> ICD2;
- in MPLAB (7.00) menu: Configure -> Select Device I selected PIC16F877A;
- in MPLAB (7.00) menu: File -> Import I imported the same icd661.hex;
- then I phisically connected my ICD2 Clone to a SECOND PIC16F877A used as a Target;
- last in MPLAB (7.00) menu: Programmer -> Program;
at this point the icd661.hex was properly loaded in the SECOND PIC, I placed the SECOND PIC in the ICD2 Clone and it worked !!

So far everything is working fine. Tested with: PIC12F683, PIC16F628A, PIC16F88, PIC16F877A, PIC18F452, PIC18F4431, PIC18F4620, dsPIC30F4011.

vpp mplab icd

hi Blinky!
some PIC can't be programmed by MPLAB ICD 2
"In the MPLAB When you choose the typr of PIC under select device, the green or red under "Microchip debuger tool support" - MPLAB ICD2 will tell you if you can debug (red ) or just program ( green ). "

pic programming ic2 invalid target id

So what's the different between ICD2(h**p://www.stolz.de.be/ ) and ICD2 of Crazyduck ?

icd2 clone com1 com2

Is the ICD2 compatible with the 16f84 or 16f84a at all? I just went thought one of Microchips datasheets for the ICD2 programmer and they say not compatible with '84A' but do not mention '84'....

This is STRANGE considering it is an ICSP programmer no?

I might buy one direct from Microchip as it would just about cost as much to make it.

Thanks,

Mike

ftdi serial usb set com1 com2 mplab

is this ICD compatible with CCS compiler? thanks

matlab icd2 target board

dsMasoud,

it is compatible the same as microchip's ICD2 is - that is CCS can use it but only through mplab - CCS cannot use it directly the way it can their own CCS-ICD or an ICD1 loaded with CCS's firmware.

FoxyRick.

building a icd2

Can the 18F PIC be programed with this ICD2?

I would like to program the USB PIC an some others too.

icd2 pic16f876a

hi did anyone sucessfully built the circuit uploaded by Sphinx, i try but failure Mplab can't detected.

mplab6.43

hahhah

i got icd2 whit 16F877a circuit by

**broken link removed**

it work now :)))

but b4 it told me that

ICD0021 unable to connect to icd2

b'caz i used my own 232 cable it 's too long :(

[/img]

icd2 16f877a

Djurodrljaca said:

Yes, it can program and debug PIC18F series

SphinX

www.stolz@t-online.de

hello there,

can anyone thell me, what valuse the D1 and D2 diods have in the schematic ? any spesific ? the authour wrote only " a germinium or schottky diods" but , for me .. being a complete noob in elektronics, no model or specification ..

regards.

PS:
the power supply i have, has a rating of 15 V DC @ 1 A.
is it OK for the ICD2 circuit ?

mplab check voltage

donkey41 said:
hello there,

can anyone thell me, what valuse the D1 and D2 diods have in the schematic ? any spesific ? the authour wrote only " a germinium or schottky diods" but , for me .. being a complete noob in elektronics, no model or specification ..

regards.

PS:
the power supply i have, has a rating of 15 V DC @ 1 A.
is it OK for the ICD2 circuit ?

i used 1N60(ge) it work fine

Added after 2 minutes:

Djurodrljaca said:

It can program 18F series or 30F series.

I test 30F2010 (DSPIC) work fine.

icd2 heaeder 16f877a

Hi there, this look like a nice project to start in the pic world ;), tought Im not very skilled at electronics, then I have some questions :).

The "major" parts of this IC2 are pic16f876, max232, (LM??)7805, BC548B, BC558B and the 9 pin female sub-D.

I supose that the sub-D is only take a normal RS232 connection and take only 9 of the pins, then is posible to do that sub-D connector from a RS232 (if yes, what pins are the correct to take???).

For programm X pic I need the pic to program + IC2??? mean that in total I need buy 2 pics???? one for the IC2 and other that will be my tool for learning and have fun ;). If is this, what is the porpuose of this pic integrated in the IC2 because it dosent have any programm or have it???? (or is loaded by the MPLAB software?? and this IC control the other IC to be programmed and debuged??)

[added]
By the way, the pic in the IC2 "pic16f876" is posible to be replace with any other "PIC16f......."??, supose that I buy the "less" cost pics?? I can replace such pic without problems or there is something that will not let that.....?
[/added]

Now after that, what is the diference between the IC2 and the "Low voltage programming cable"?, taking out the posibility of debug the programm??? or is the same circuit plus the interface for debug???

pic icd 2

OK, now answer uh?? ;).

The sub-D type connector is a serial connector (that is like I know it :p). For numerate the pins you start at the row that have 5 pins counting fron left to right.

Yes, I need to buy another pic apart from the one that is in the IC2, but my question remain, is posible replace such pic with other??? (the software pass the necesary thing to the pic in the IC2 to debug the other pic)

I have a question related to mplab, the circuit is suposed to work with mplab6, but actually there is mplab 7.10, it will work??? or should I try by myself??

icd2 failed self test

hello there,

i need some help regarding the ICD2 circuit.

i have build the stolz's ICD, as given on his page, with 16F877.
when i connect it to MPLAB, it always gives the warning :

ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x27, read=0x0)

even when there IS a target.
i have checked the circuit many times, it is possible that some BJTs have been burnt during my tests .. i dont know about it.

here is, how my ICD2 is connected with MPLAB.

MPLAB version 6.60
serial port with straight connection (2 -> 2, 3 -> 3 etc.) with 19600 bps, flow control NONE, 8N1.
target controller is powered from saparete source (5v).
ICD2 is powered with a "15" volt source, because i dont have the 13.5 V option and MPLAB passes always the self test, so i think, it is not a problem.
PGD to PGD, PGC to PGC GND to GND ... BUT i am not sure about the MCLR pin. i have tried with and without MCLR pin on the target. the target controller was also tested with and without 10K resistor to Vdd without any success.

my quistions are ..
is there any problem with 15 V source to ICD2 ?
what is the CORRECT binding of MCLR pin to the target controller ? DO i have to connect the Vpp of ICD2 (with 15V !!) to the MCLR of the target ? what is the correct configuration of MCLR pin of the target with respect to ICD ?

i have also checked the voltage on MCLR on ICD, which turned to be some -0.012.. Volts. is it normal ?

regards

news_flash :

now it shows on "MPLAB ICD 2 Settins' status tab "

target Vdd = pass
module Vpp = low
MCLR GND = pass
MCLR Vdd = pass
MCLR Vpp = low

any help ??

burn hex file using icd2

Greats.

i have build the circuit, with the 16F877A, and works fine, just one problem.
I have tested the debugger with the 16F877A as a target, and works, but with a 16F628A does not work.

When i try to connect on a debugger mode says:
-------------------------------------------------
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x89, read=0x83)
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
--------------------------------------------------
Can someone help me?
Tanks.

@donkey41:
I have used a 1N4007 diods and a zener 4.7V and works!!!

Sorry my english...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.