Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Build easy MPLAB-6 ICD-2 for PIC18F2550

Status
Not open for further replies.
mplab 7.01 download

hi,
finally I can present my latest ICD2 design. not many changes were made since my last posts.
a few error corrections, some layout enhancements and the possibility to power target boards directly over USB. I also wrote a short documentation.

this design is fully tested!

I hope this is useful to you and feel free to send any comments.

enjoy.

regards, jenda

all needed files can be downloaded here:

unable to connect with mplab icd 2

Can Zaphod42's bootloader for the 16F877A be used in a 16F876A? If so, can we then use a 16F876A in this circuit without problems?

(Bootloader in this thread: )

The reason is: I have lots of 876A's, but no 876's.

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

making icd2

yes this icd2 works, i've test it with pic 16F876 and pic 18F452.

usb mplab icd2 clone

Hello ,
I have mounted the icd-2 i created but mplabv6.60 can't find the ICD2.
Does anyone here can tell me how to burn the *.hex in the pic16F877 , I use the
pic16F877 for the ICD2 . the file on the \icd2\BL010101.hex ,I burned into my pic16F877 ,but no any respose , also How to connect the cable to the PC serial port .

2----->3 ,
3----->2 ,
4----->4,
5----->5,

7----->7
8----->8

Am I miss something here ?
Thanks,

ds30277d

Hi,
You must program the µc on the ICD2 module with the correct bootloader. You can use bootloader from Zaphod42 if you use 16F877A. Connect your ICD2 module to the serial port with no-crossing cable and your target board to ICD2 module. POwer the boards. Run MPLAB and select in debugger menu the ICD2 tool.
MPLAB would be connect to the ICD2 module.
MPLAB verify the version of the operating system on your ICD2 µc, and if the version do not correspond, MPLAB would upgrade it.

CD:)

compile c mplab6.5

hello crazyduck,
your mean on the serial port interface should be connected
2<---->2 , 3<----->3 . No-crossing the 2 and 3 pin . I will correct my cable .
in addition I measured the voltage of VPP is 13.3V ,is it ok ?
I think the bootloader for the 16F877a can be used for 16F877 ,
because I just have the 16F877 ,
another question is how to set the configuration
when I burn the bootload hex file , select to close the WDT , select HT crystal .
I will try it later .
enjoy :)

icd2 vpp

Hi,
Th bootloader is only for 16F877A because thez algorithm of programmation is not the same with 16F87.
The voltage for VPP is correct at #13V.
When you load the bootloader with classic programmer, the configuration must appear good, if not put oscillator in HS mode, disable code protect.

diy pic icd2 tutorial faq

Hi crazyduck,
the MPLAB IDE V6.60 can know my ICD2 modular , but when I connect the ICD2,
a warning message say .
"Invalid target device id (expected =0x21 ,read=0x0)"
but the ICD self test is OK .

I checked the user's guide of Microchip's ICD 2 , I found I miss a 10K resistor between
the VDD and /MCLR . Maybe this is my problem .
please enlighten me on this .
Tomorrow I will get a 16F877A then I will try it again .

:)

mplab icd upgrade

Hi panlei and bjkbj701019,
When you connect ICD2 to PC with MPLA, you must have a target processor or an eval board connect to ICD2 module. If not, there is no target and ICD2 read 0X00.

Fot the 16F876(A), the firmware is the same as 16F877(A).

mplab icd 2 power supply ratings

hi crazyduck,
I have successful to build my ICD 2 now, the reason is under the terminal
connector ,there is a short solder connect the PGD and the PGC together . I found this because of my bad solder level . when i correct it , it does work now . very happy on this .

I also do some test with the pic16f877 and pic16f877a , both of the chips can be
work for the circuit . the bootloader hex which locate on the icd2\bl010101.hex is ok and your bootloader.hex and the original firmware.hex are both OK . you can
choice one of them to burn into the 16f877A

enjoy :)

mplab ic2 device id 0x0

Hi nooknikz!
I sow U tested the circuit for an dsPIC30F6014.
I use the same component but in the
h**p://www.stolz.de.be/ circuit I use a PIC16F876A.
Can U give me a Bootloader for it?

tusb3410 pcb

Hi,
The bootloader is the same for all Microchip product can be debug with ICD2.
The change is about the operating system. This operating system is not same for each product. MPLAB will automaticaly upgrade this operating system, if you have the correct bootloader in ICD2 module µC.
CD

icd0021 unable to connect with mplab icd 2 usb

Thank U crazyduck.
The thing is that I tried the BL010101.hex bootloader and my ICD2 circuit ,from the stolz page h**p://www.stolz.de.be/, didn't work.It says something like "Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2".I thought the bootloader might be the problem.
If U are right,then I have the correct bootloader in my clone ICD2 module microcontroller(PIC16F876A with BL010101.hex).And in this case the MPLAB v6.6X or MPLAB v7.00 ( I used them both and none of them connected to the ICD2 ) should upgrade the proper operating system,and connect to my ICD2,but they aren't.
What should I understand from this? The proper operating system for my dsPIC30F6014 is not included in the MPLAB v6.6X or MPLAB v7.00 , or that stolz's circuit doesn't work?
Where might I find the proper operating system for my dsPIC? If U have it ,would U be so kind to send it to me at s_daniel_b@yahoo.com,as I have no necessary points to download many things from here.( I tried to download jena's ICD2 design but I could't.).
Is this "operating system" the "firmware" that U was talking about on this forum?Becouse I downloaded the BootLoader16F877A.HEX and loaded it into my PIC16F876A and it doesn't work too.
Is there any error in the h**p://www.stolz.de.be/
circuit that I should correct?I made the circuit as it is on the page.

icd2 16f84

Hi,
You must connect the ICD2 with follow this steps:

Program the µC on your ICD2 module with a bootloader (take a look to www.microchipc.com).

Connect your target µC to ICD2 module.

Run MPLAB (prefer 6.61) I have some problems with 7.00.

Choose your target processor.

Power your cards (ICD2 and target).

Choose debugger in the MPLAB tools.

Mplab will be connect to ICD2 module, and downloaded the correct operating system in µC on ICD2 module. Note:this operating system are on MPLAB directory (BLxxxxx.hex).

So you can debug now (normally !!!)

CD

icd2 how to build

Hello crazyduck,

you mean to say that BLxxxxx.hex is the OS for the target and not the 'bootloader'?

kindly specify.

bimbla.

unable to connect with mplab icd 2 (usb)

Hi crazyduck!
This is what I've ,made:
Took "Shane Tolmie PIC bootloader v9-30" from microchip,modified:"#define ICD_DEBUG 0 to #define ICD_DEBUG 1" and the frequency and baud rate to 20MHz and 19200 bps,make the modified source bootloader file in Mplab and create the new .Hex file for it.Then I changed the com1 port setting to Hardware flow control,19200bps baudrate and disabled FIFO buffers for com1.
Next I followed the steps U specified above and get something like that:

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

I must say I power the dsPIC30F6014 from the ICD2 as specified in www.stolz.de.be site.I removed the resistor that put MCLR to VDD at the target.
Then I loaded a project for dsPIC30F6014 and gave "Debugging->Program" and got :

Programming Target...
ICD0024: Failed to write to Com Port ($7F00
4) (MPLABCOM = 0x0) (USBCOM = 0x0) (0x0)
ICD0275: Programming failed.
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Can U tell me what can I do to fix this problem?

cost of mplab ic2

Salam,

Did anyone build Sobakava's PCB ? or any other pcb ?

Thanks

mplab icd2 clone usb

Hi.
Any body,i don't understand about set up 16F876 ?
please tell me about it.
thank

mplab6.5

if somebody is interested, this my board for lothar's ICD2
I've test it with 16F876 16F877 18F452 and it works

I haven't made the board with protel so this is the top layer in PDF format.
the pic on the board is a 16F876
(i' ve also test with 16F876 and 16F876A)

Status
Not open for further replies.