Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How this electronic fuse circuit works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

semiconductor

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
electronic fuse question

I intend to use this electronic fuse

**broken link removed**

but I'm dount that the Q3 is wrong connected. If it is connected as above, U(R2) = U(BE). When U(BE) = 0.6, it would conduct but the current will flow from C to E (or from 0V to +V --> I can not understand this circuit if Q3 is connected as above.

But if we change it to PNP transistor, it would be wrong because U(R2) = U(BE) > 0. The transistor Q3 PNP will never conduct.

Can someone explain how this circuit work and if it is wrong, how to correct it to be right?

Re: electronic fuse question

As far as I see everything should be OK.

The circuit should work like this: normally the darlington Q1/Q2 should be fully switched on by R1 there will be a voltage drop of about 1.5V.

When the current flowing through R2 generates a voltage high enough for Q3 to switch on it will connect R1 to the voltage after R2 which is in this case about 1.5 + 0.7 = 2.2 V lower then the input voltage V+ and Q1/Q2 will stop being switched on full and will limit the flowing current.

best regards

Re: electronic fuse question

This circuit is current limiter, not fuse. Limit current will be 0.65V/R2 approximatelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.