Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cascading passive filter and Sallen-Key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinska.h

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have never seen any designs that would cascade a passive RC-filter before Sallen-Key filter. So can it be done? I don't see any reason why not if the signal is pre-amplified.

In the application, signal is a pulse of lets say 100µs followed by a 5s pause(=OFF). In application environment there is the normal AC noise+harmonics, 400-800Hz and some noise from 15kHz-40kHz. I have limited op-amps (2), which the first one is used to pre-amplify the signal. I need a strong high-pass filter but then again I need a strong low-pass filter. My thought was to have PREAMP -> RC LPF -> Sallen-Key -> LPF Anti-Aliasing -> ADC. Do you guys see any problems with this?

Btw. due to limited op-amps and requirement to achieve good attenuation, would elliptic/Cauer be good choice? (I have never used one) I suppose since it's a non-continuous and pulsed signal, I don't see that much problem with phase shift or group delay, since signal processing in digital domain is only to catch average peak. Any opinions?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and yes, I'm working on single supply and low voltage (~2V). The need to filter before final stage is that I'm afraid of hitting the rails and loosing the actual signal if none of filtering is done before final op-amp.

Hello,

some questions/comments to your inquiry:

* what means "I need a STRONG filter" ? Do you have no specific attenuation requirements?
* Of course, you can use a simple RC stage in front of your 2nd order S&K filter - however, it bust be decoupled using a buffer in front of the 2nd stage
* But you should know that there is a special design strategy for designing a third order S&K using only one single opamp
* In general: Lowpass attenuation for frequencies far above the path band depends on the filter order only - not on the approximation (Butterworth, cauer, etc,)
* The selected approximation determines only if the transition band (between path and stop region) is rather small or not. But you must know that the consequence of a small transition band could be a certain ripple in the pathband)
* To find the optimum filter configuration for a certain application requires a clear specification of the requirements (Filter gain, allowed ripple in the path band, end of the path band, attenuation values for specific frequencies or frequency ranges.

Last edited:

I have never seen any designs that would cascade a passive RC-filter before Sallen-Key filter.
It's a standard third order low- or high-pass topology. Of course the passive filter has to be reflected in the values of active second order block. The technique is called "absorb first order". I presume that you are trying to implement a defined filter prototype.

Alternatively, the first order filter can be placed behind the second order block, but you lose the low output impedance of the active filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.