Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET 1/f noise in LTSpice

Status
Not open for further replies.

narwhaler

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm having trouble understanding how 1/f noise is modeled in LTSpice. This came about because I'm doing some analytical noise modeling for a photodetector preamplifier circuit, and I wanted to support this with LTSpice simulations. What I was after was a simple transformation from the SPICE MOSFET flicker noise parameter (KF) to the flicker noise constants in the equations I'm using in my analytical model. I was getting some inconsistencies in trying to compare the two, so for the next step I tried to simplify things and just understand the SPICE results for a single MOSFET. This is where I started to get myself really confused.

Attached is the circuit I'm using for the simulation. What I was trying to do was simply generate a noise spectrum, and then from the resulting data go back and derive the KF parameter to make sure it matched what I was specifying. I ended up with a number that was about 5 orders of magnitude too low.

I specified in my model a level one MOSFET, which according to the references I've looked at, uses the following expression for drain-source noise current:

\[\frac{i_{ds}^2}{{\Delta}f} = \frac{8kTg_m}{3} + \frac{KF {\cdot} I_{DS}^{AF}}{f C_{ox} L_{eff}^2}\]

To extract KF from the simulated data, I exported the noise voltage density at the output (Vo), and then, using MATLAB for all calculations, converted that noise voltage to a drain current by dividing by the drain resistance R1. I then applied a linear fit to the 1/f region of the log (base 10) of the noise current squared versus log (base 10) of frequency (see attached output plot). Ignoring the thermal noise which is insignificant relative to 1/f noise in this range, the intercept of that fit is then:

\[b = log_{10} \left( \frac{KF {\cdot} I_{DS}^{AF}}{C_{ox} L_{eff}^2} \right)\]

In my NMOS model, I specified the necessary parameters to uniquely determine Cox and Leff (TOX, L, and LD), and Id is about 10 mA. When I plug in the numbers, I get KF ~= 5E-31, instead of 1E-26 which I specified in the model. I'm completely stumped as to why the results are not matching the input

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Attachments

• MOSFET flicker noise circuit.png
    MOSFET flicker noise circuit.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 295
  • MOSFET flicker noise circuit output.png
    MOSFET flicker noise circuit output.png
    10 KB · Views: 298
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search