Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

single rs232 to rs485 converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_electronic

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
i am developing a system based on modbus protocol.Master side is PC and slave are some other devices.I will need here an rs232 to rs485 converter b/w PC and slave devices.I know that i can connect 255 slave devices with 1 master.
My question is that can i use 1 rs232 to rs485 converter and attach as many slave devices (range 0-255) on 485 side without any problem or not?

Thanks

RS-232 to RS-485 is possible of course. Lots of off-the-shelf converters or DIy circuits are easily available.

The "..without any problem.." point is subjective though. obviously you have to implement the protocols carefully, and also setup your terminations etc etc. Not so sure whether you can do 0..255, isn't it more like 0..127 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.