Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the suitable deadtime for Hbridge SMPS with IRFP460 MOSFETS?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

billu8660

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
I am making this SMPS with 50khz frequency, so far i have exploded 12 IRFP460 MOSFETs and 4 IRFPG50 MOSFETS, when i apply 60Vdc to this SMPS its seems to work fine, when 310Vdc is applied booom :-( , i have set 880ns as deadtime for this, i want to know what should be the safe deadtime for this SMPS.

Attachments

• 50khz smps_1.JPG
    50khz smps_1.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 125

well for the dead time you can simply use a diode in parallel with the 10ohms resistor and also try and out 10k resistor from gate to source of each fets.

i have set 880ns as deadtime for this, i want to know what should be the safe deadtime for this SMPS.

Speaking theoretically...

You have a charged coil. Suddenly it sees high impedance when you shut off the mosfets.

The time constant (L/R) becomes a small value divided by a very large value. It is tiny. Hence the coil's flux fields collapse quickly, generating a pulse that has to go somewhere immediately.

In one millionth of a second, it can generate a high-voltage spike, positive at one end, negative at the other end.

Could that be what's making mosfets go boom?

This is just theory talking.

Unhh yes i can agree with bradtherad "spike" can also damage your mosfet but try and put the resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.