Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I determine the current rating for a pulse transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manaboutdog

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I'm intending to use a pulse transformer (1:1:1) to drive a reverse parallel Thyristor configuration. I need to be able to supply ~1.5A to the gate of the thyristor, but most of the specs I've seen do not directly quote a current rating. I'd like to use as small a transformer as possible due to space constraints. Is there a straight forward way of working this out, short of building it with multiple transformers to verify performance?

The 77205C part from the following spec is one that I'm considering if suitable https://www.murata-ps.com/data/magnetics/kmp_772.pdf

Regards

M

Although there's no explicite current rating, all parameters of interest are in the datasheet, presuming the trigger pulses are short enough not to cause considerable power dissipation. Unter this assumption winding resistance and possibly leak inductance and of course the driver voltage are ruling the achievable trigger current.

Status
Not open for further replies.