Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does HFSS operate better on Intel HT or AMD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George137

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HFSS On HT or AMD

I am wondering if HFSS operates better on AMD than Intel HT. I got a 3.2 HT machine, which still isn't that fast I expected with such power. I wonder if any knows why!!

Re: HFSS On HT or AMD

the speed is only relate with your computer memory.

HFSS On HT or AMD

spead relate to RAM of your
computer and CPU , if your RAM rather than 512
and CPU rather than 1G ,analyse spead of HFSS
is suitable ,and only your problem , if you don't have
powerfull computer is that the time of analysise
is longer , and if your work don't have symmetry
the analyse take more time .

i have similar config but i use 1Gb of RAM which is dual channel 2 sticks of 512 mB ram on 3.2HT n it works just fine

George137 said:
I am wondering if HFSS operates better on AMD than Intel HT. I got a 3.2 HT machine, which still isn't that fast I expected with such power. I wonder if any knows why!!

What type of AMD's processor did you use for difference measurement?

I have done benchmarking using HFSS between Intel Pentium 4/EMT64 and AMD Opteron architectures...

Bottom Line - Single processor systems
Memory to processor speed has the primary impact on solve time

Bottom Line - Multi-processor systems
Memory to processor speed has the primary impact on solve time
Processor to Processor communication has a significant contribution to solve time

With the above achitectures, AMD is better than Intel with both memory to processor... and processor to processor communications

In a single processor system... An opteron running at 2.0 GHz was at least 15% faster than 3.0 GHz Intels

Going multiprocessors (1 to 2).. the Intel system was sped up by about 20 - 30%... where the AMD Opterons achieved about a 90%-95% increase.

If the problem goes out of memory... make sure that you also have a fast disk system... RAID 5 / SCSI 320 / and 15k spin drives seem to be pretty good.

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back