Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(Fourier Transform) What does F(jω) represent in frequency domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark360z

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to understand the concept of Fourier transform and get stuck on something very simple.

My question is, what does F(jω) represent in frequency domain?

If I have a voltage source v(t), v(t) represents voltage as a function of time, therefore I know the voltage at any given time.

But in frequency domain, thing seems to be different.

Let say the transformed signal is V(jω). Let say at ω=2pi(1000), substitute ω in V(jω), suppose I get V(jω)=V(j2pi(1000))=10

What does "10" represent?

Is it an amplitude of a sinusoidal at 1000 Hz? Therefore the signal has sinusoidal 1k Hz frequency amplitude=10 as a component?

I'm not sure about this because the Fourier transform of cosine is Impulse which has amplitude=infinity.

Please help!

I'm trying to understand the concept of Fourier transform and get stuck on something very simple.

My question is, what does F(jω) represent in frequency domain?

If I have a voltage source v(t), v(t) represents voltage as a function of time, therefore I know the voltage at any given time.

But in frequency domain, thing seems to be different.

Let say the transformed signal is V(jω). Let say at ω=2pi(1000), substitute ω in V(jω), suppose I get V(jω)=V(j2pi(1000))=10

What does "10" represent?

Is it an amplitude of a sinusoidal at 1000 Hz? Therefore the signal has sinusoidal 1k Hz frequency amplitude=10 as a component?

I'm not sure about this because the Fourier transform of cosine is Impulse which has amplitude=infinity.

Please help!
The Fourier Transform just Transform a signal from the "Time Domain" to "the Frequency Domain".

v(t) is "The Signal in the Time Domain" ≡ F(jω) is "The SAME Signal in the Frequency Domain" !
V(t) is like looking at a signal with an Oscope and F(jω) is looking at the same signal with a Spectrum Analyzer.

Note t = 1/f , and f = ω/2pi.
The "j" ( or s=jω) is because signals have a complex component.

Go look for the proof of e^(-Jω) = Cos(ω) + jSin(ω)

You are wrong in one place buddy substituting w gives V(10i) and as element said in frequency domain

Status
Not open for further replies.