Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Filter Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrtich.nazaryan

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I'm new in Digital Filters Design. I'm trying to find some PC software (simple one), which can help me to strengthen my theoretical skills in digital filter.
Please suggest me some software.
Thanks.

Hello mkrtich.nazaryan

Since MATLAB is a very useful software and is widely used in academics and industry, I would recommend you to use the software.
MATLAB contains a Filter Design and Analysis Toolbox.
To use the toolbox just type fdatool in command window and press enter.

Hope this will be helpful.

Aactually I know that it is possible to use Matlab, but I'm not familiar with Matlab. I'm trying to use LabView with Digital Filter Design Toolkit, but I need something lighter than Matlab or LabView. Anyway thanks for the reply.

Matlab (or free GNU Octave) is preferred because it has a strong relation to digital signal processing theory. The documentation gives many insights to digital filter behaviour and design methods. If you are looking for something "light", you can use any spreadsheet calculator, e.g. MS Excel to simulate a digital filter in time domain, possibly perform fourier transformations. Even filter design would be possible with it's help, in principle.

I guess, that you are trying to design digital filters without being bothered by theory. Perhaps filter tools like Nuhertz Filter Solutions can work for you. On the long run, the theory might turn out essential, however.

spreadsheet calculator, e.g. MS Excel to simulate a digital filter in time domain, possibly perform fourier transformations.

Excel is a perfect tool to optimize the filters for binary divisors to shun integer oder real division in hardware. Furthermore I regularly tweak the coefficients that way, that I obtain most highest dynamic without overflow danger, which I did not find so far in commercial tools, nor MATLAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.