Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inline home grid UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gen0rator

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I hate paying for electricity. I hate being held hostage by the power company. Is it extortion? Feels like it but what can you do about it? Harvest your own power. That's what to do about it. This is a long term project with a huge learning curve but we have a plan based on our particular needs. The wind study is complete and luckily a couple of wind jennies with the help of solar panels will fill the bill. Yes, the pun is intentional.

The plan includes going totally off grid relying on wind/solar for our power needs using hybrid UPS to manage and power our own grid. The concept is simple- generate the electricity, manipulate it to a useful level then distribute the power to wherever it's needed. This concept includes three primary aspects: generation, conversion and distribution. Generation and conversion are the biggies, distribution is 80% solved through the already in place mechanicals.

Conversion is based on the inline UPS concept. We'll take the power from the wind jenny/solar panel and run it through the UPS to convert it to house current. When power is not being generated then we have battery backup which again is pulled through the UPS to convert it to house current. The block diagram shows the UPS layout.

BLOCK DIAGRAM.jpg

The UPS is uP controlled, transformerless, produces a pure sine output and carries power factor correction circuitry. We have on the breadboard a low power circuit to prototype the first seven stages of the UPS from A/C input through the inverter stage. The pic shows this circuitry powering four CFL's.

1115121426.jpg

I suppose we could stop here, refine the design and have just simple inverters to power everything. That's too easy. We want the bling, all the bells and whistles.

As for the circuitry, nothing new here. Have a look at the schematic:

dual BJT PWM R1.JPG

AC is fed through a full bridge rectifier, flitered and fed through transistors Q5-Q16. Transistors Q1,Q2 are in a PWM configuration with the output firing transistors Q3, Q4. The result is a horrible looking 60 Hz square wave at VOUT which is fine for a resistive load but nothing else. We have motors and fine electronics to power and this type of output will not work for these items.

That's all for now. We'll keep this thread alive by posting the progress and working through the problem areas.

<edit> comments and feedback always welcomed! </edit>

Hank

Last edited:

Please share with us your cost and ROI spreadsheets?

I dont catch what is purpose of this?

Cheapest energy comes out of the wall socket.

Your UPS/backup system is good but price.... You need solar panels, wind generator, battery bank is long and major story, life of batteries,.... all collectively can not be repaid from using that harvested power. Battery will die in few years, then you need new,.....

I support stories on this topics, but best is to put all on paper and see where we are.

People often buy a fog at night, and are not even aware of that.

;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Prices for electricity in my country is separated into two tariff.

Higher tariff (07h-23h) is 5,012din/1KWh - 0,04435eur
Lower tariff (23h-07h) is 1,253din/1KWh - 0,01108eur

Best power harvesting is from wall sockets. ;-)

Until we see the energy from vacuum we will play around and daydream about cheap energy.

I must move to Serbia, mine is 0.6eur/1KWh. A typical month is 400eur !

The schematic says it's PWM but it's just a square wave generator, not even modified sine. It would be very inefficiant.

Brian.

I must move to Serbia, mine is 0.6eur/1KWh. A typical month is 400eur !

The schematic says it's PWM but it's just a square wave generator, not even modified sine. It would be very inefficiant.

Brian.

Wooow for 400eur you can pay rent with all bills including normal electricity consuption bills.

Square wave is good when you want to kill some inductive device, like motors for example. :smile:

Hello everyone, Your discussion show that you are professional people of the electricity department. Actually I also want to discuss some thing about the same field. Infact I have build a small park home and I want something for generating electricity. so please suggest me something.

Hi Willis,

Better make new thread with your described needs and questions, this will give clear situation.

Best regards,
Peter

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.