Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensing the motion of an object

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANTI_HACKER

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a system to be implmented in a vehicle. I want to put a feature that whenever my vehicle starts to move an interrupt can be generated or like an led can be make glow. I want this to be very very cheap. what should be the way of doing this? just sensing the motion
Thanks in Advance!

First you need a motion sensor like a reed switch or a potentiometer to detect the motion. Then a microcontroller can be programmed so that the output of the motion sensor acts like an input or interrupt to the microcontroller.

Maybe small metalic balls in small diameter pipe, oriented in the direction of the vehicle movement. On each end two thin contacts on both pipe sides, to distinguish its forward or backward movement. When small ball go to one end, contact is shorted and uC receives impuls. Pipe can have on half side shaft, and small hanging tag, to overcome the slopes. This usually is done with sensor which have mercury instead of steel balls, but RoHS....

You can always buy acceleration sensor and make some nice project, but price....

Last edited:

The suggestions above are excellent. So you can chose from any of them and proceed to the programming of the microcontroller. Instead of using you hand to construct the motion sensor, there are already made sensors, just visit any shop where electronic component are sold and demand for one. If you still need my help feel free to contact me.

The idea is great. Yes I am using microcontroller I have done all the programming. I designed my final year project system Its ready but now I want to include this extra feature. Are these already made sensors cheap?

- - - Updated - - -

I want a sensor which gives the interrupt or gives any voltage signal when the speed is above some limit say about 5kmph. Is it possible?

How reliable must your system be ? Very realiable and at the same time very cheap is hard to achieve. The most reliable way would be to measure the revolution of the wheels. Otherwise "Starts to move" may be difficult to detect reliably. Imagine the car standing on a gentle slope, then the brakes are released. The car slowly rolls downhill, and after some time passes your speed limit. Such a very small acceleration may be hard to detect with a cheap sensor. But if your system only needs to work, say, in 95% of all imaginable situations the suggestions above sound great.

OK let me make it more clear. whenever the driver of the car will park the car, then leaving the car he will push on a button which will start noticing the motion of the car. So the sensor will have a look at the motion of thE CAR provided the button is on. If button is off, then no matter what the sensor will not sense the motion. Simply when the button is on the sensor will work else not. ?

keep a sensor inside the speedometer casing where a minute movement can be sensed

As chipmunk said, you can detect that the wheels are rotating. The problem is that placing a sensor directly at the wheels can be complicated. Also you should avoid optical sensors because they get dirty. Another solution is to tap the speedmeter input. Which can be mechanical or electric.
Once you get a number of pulses per revolution of the wheels you can easily calculate the speed.

That gets more technical. Noone will allow me to open their speedometer. I have to implement a system. Can I get any help from GPS RECEIVER?

I am designing a system to be implmented in a vehicle. I want to put a feature that whenever my vehicle starts to move an interrupt can be generated or like an led can be make glow. I want this to be very very cheap. what should be the way of doing this? just sensing the motion
Thanks in Advance!

Later we see this in post numbered #11:

That gets more technical. Noone will allow me to open their speedometer. I have to implement a system. Can I get any help from GPS RECEIVER?

I think thread poster should know what he want, sorry I dont have that impression.

The already made motion sensors are cheap and reliable. What is the name of your final project, what does it do and how does it function?

Its GPS and GSM based tracking system. I was tinking to get any help out of the GPS regarding motion sensing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back