Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extracting RLCG values from S-parameter data

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo jenkins

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rlcg to s parameter

Hello designers,

I am trying to design a lossy transmission line but I am having trouble obtaining RLCG values from s-parameter data from a 2-port network I am using. My frequency range is 0.02 GHz to 4.05GHz, is there any one who has RLCG values for this range; Or can help me extract this values from s-parameter data.

I'm not sure if the r,l,c,g, parameters are computable from 2port spar.
Of course you can extract Zo and loss.
Zo=√L/C , but an infinitely large pair of value satisfy this ratio
Also the Loss contribution is the sum of two contribution, namely dissipative loss on the conductor (related to R) and the polar dissipation on the dielectric (related to G) but once again an infinitely large ombination of this two value give the same loss.
But to find G and R you may do more.
If conductor is a non-magnetic metal and dielectric has constant εr vs. freq. and no DC hysteresys, there is a model (not a phisycal law!) that say the metal loss (in dB) is proportional to √Freq and the loss of dielectric is proportional to freq.

So from 2 port spar find:
1) group delay ... electrical lenght
2) The center of the rotational circle of s11 on Smith Chart ... it's Zo
3) The Available Gain vs freq, then find the contribute proportional to √Freq and the contribute proportional to Freq and normalize for unit lenght.

I'm not able to help you more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back