Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Non-linear amplifier for modulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

danish.umer.k

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DSB.png
Hello Guys,
I have been given an assignment to design a Double side-band suppressed carrier modulator using non-linear amplifier method as shown in the attached figure. For this scheme to work I need a non linear amplifier whose output profile is y=a*x+b*x^2, where y is output and x is input. I have no idea how to design an amplifier that would have output given by such 2nd degree polynomial.
I have some understanding that usually in the design of amplifier we bias the transistor in a such a region that their output is almost linear; similarly we can bias it for this non-linear case but i need some help with this.

Have you tried biassing the transistor right back (Ic= 2 micro A) and driving its base from a low impedance source?
Frank
Sir it would be very helpful if you could explain it some more

For a non-linear amplifier, get the circuit of a class A voltage amplifier, reduce the voltage on the base by reducing the value of the lower base to earth resistor until the collector current is 2 micro amps - check the voltage drop across the collector load resistor. For any reasonable level of signal this amplifier is non-linear now. Does it do what you want?
Frank

For a non-linear amplifier, get the circuit of a class A voltage amplifier, reduce the voltage on the base by reducing the value of the lower base to earth resistor until the collector current is 2 micro amps - check the voltage drop across the collector load resistor. For any reasonable level of signal this amplifier is non-linear now. Does it do what you want?
Frank

Thanks a lot for your help. I however went for another alternative i made a logarithmic amplifier using op amp and suppressed the unwanted harmonics using filters and it worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.