Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gain after applying bit pruning to a CIC filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

H.Hachem

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm designing a CIC filter on an FPGA. I applied the bit pruning algorithm as described in Hagenauer's paper, however it is unclear to me how the gain is affected by such procedure. Normally CIC filters' gain is (RM)^N. However, after truncation the amplitudes cannot reach (RM)^N due to limited bit precision. So how does the gain get affected by bit pruning? Is there any formula?

On the other hand, if I have multiple CIC filters connected to each other, is it better to adjust the gain at the end of each filter or at the end of the whole chain?

P.S. : I adjusted the gain of the first filter by simply dividing the output by a constant, so that low frequencies pass through, while high frequencies get blocked. However, I did that by trial and error, and I'm not sure that applies to all frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back