Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resetting BIOS Password of Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible to reset Laptop BIOS\CMOS Password,if yes what is the procedure?

You can see some my photos for IBM in photo album :

As FoxyRick mention all depends what laptop manufacturer and model is involved. You cant easely remove 3V lithium battery and return it as at desktop computer, Laptop computers is more complicated to do that. Some laptop is harder to descrypt. Also depends which type of password is in case, its very complicated for hard disk passwords, but all can be done.

;-)

So removing the CMOS battery is not always a solution to remove the password of a computer

So removing the CMOS battery is not always a solution to remove the password of a computer

For desktop motherboards BIOS it is, but for laptop not.

In desktop computers You can easely just remove 3V battery on few seconds and return it back, your BIOS will lose all CMOS user settings, and will return factory default settings without any passwords.

In Laptop 3V battery have purpose only to keep CMOS settings and time&date, password must be resolved on other way with programmer and direct access to EEPROM chip. :smile:

Removing the battery won't work on my HP Elitebook. It has some serious security and encryption stuff in it. I'm not sure that even the manufacturer could reset it, which would generally be the case. It would probably need the security chip desoldering and replacing.

I've just checked and HP's answer for my laptop is to replace the motherboard!

Some newer laptop come with newer password encryption and EEPROM chip protection. Some of them is very hard to descrypt but....... little additional time will help and results will be successfully....:smile:

It's actually a little worrying. I use full disk encryption too, to protect my data in case of theft, but I always think, "What happens if I get hit on the head and can't remember my security key?"

Of course, I have a copy of the keys, in another place and encrypted with another key. But if I forget that one... :lol:

It's actually a little worrying. I use full disk encryption too, to protect my data in case of theft, but I always think, "What happens if I get hit on the head and can't remember my security key?"

Of course, I have a copy of the keys, in another place and encrypted with another key. But if I forget that one... :lol:

Sometimes easier solution is to buy new HD and go on.

HD descryption also can be done, but its hard to do and request additional time, but in lots of cases its successfully. For some laptops cannot be done, and new HD is inevitable.

With the HP's embedded security, I might as well buy a whole new computer if I really forget the key.

Its nice to look this address :

http://www.ja.axxs.net/unlock/

With the HP's embedded security, I might as well buy a whole new computer if I really forget the key.

All what is man made and have some sense, can be understandably for some other man.
Only thing which is improtant is knowledge and skill ratio difference between this two mans or groups.

All of this is imposible if man make chaos, for that only time travel in future can give answer and solutions.

Because of that most password is easily found, because people gives some words with meaning, if they use like "@a%A^cCf.32-0x102x4oxo/" that is harder to find.

We live in a world with symptoms of paranoid beginnings, for PCs, credit cards, door locks, RFID, digital certificates, fingerprints readers, ... but this is just beginning, and very often user is victim of own protection.

I cant post some useful materials for descrypting HP password here, it can be very disappointing for HP users, and its delicate material, I dont think that this is allowed here, but anyone can use Google search engine and search in that direction. Ultimately this is a free world and deposited democracy until someone says otherwise, as is often the case.

;-)

Last edited:

So nothing made by man is not secure able 100% so there are many twists and turns which can be used to ***** the uncrackable

I if they use like "@a%A^cCf.32-0x102x4oxo/" that is harder to find.

Yeah... something like that, but longer :wink:

I'm not so much bothered though if it takes MI5/NSA/Insert-government -agency-here to decrypt my data - I doubt that they need my bank details anyway. But mere mortals will certainly struggle...

If I could invent one thing in the computer world, it would be a usable quantum processor. "It would take billions of years to find my password" - want to bet? :twisted: :twisted:

Its enough that user use FB service often, and all data from PC are here. After user receive some "script", all data are here from credit cards data (is used over PC in any from) to rest users windows and applications passwords, and all others data including screenshots of desktop environment, and also all typing texts and each keyboard key can be transmited to hidden recipient.

SOLUTION: This is what I did and worked like a dream. Contacted HP, told them the problem. They "escalated the case," took my info. The next day I was emailed a file called SMC.bin. It is formatted specifically for my machine, has to match the UUID. Copied file to FAT 32 formatted jump drive, booted it as per the email instructions, reset bios password.

I did this via chat on HP's website.

Screwing with the bios battery will not work on Elitebook...

Status
Not open for further replies.