Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between microprocessor vs microcontroller vs SOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohi@608

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is difference between microprocessor vs microcontroller vs SOC??

and what do you mean by multiprocessor SOC??

Here is my answer:

Processor can be categorized into 3 type (based on a book I have read): microprocessor, microcontroller, DSP processor.
Microprocessor is a general purpose processor use for general applications.
Microcontroller is a lower performance processor use for embedded systems for specific target applications such as display controller in the mobile phone.
SoC is a short for system on chip. It is a technology where we integrate different architectures/blocks in a silicon die to form a complete system. Example, Apple A4 SoC which has GPU, ARM CPU core, DDR controller. You can find the die photos from google.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

what relation does a soc have with a microcontroller???

well i have gone through that there seems to be no difference between SOC and microcontroller as both are specific purpose???
or anyone could explain better/....

well i have gone through that there seems to be no difference between SOC and microcontroller as both are specific purpose???
or anyone could explain better/....
"The contrast (of SoC) with a microcontroller is one of degree. Microcontrollers typically have under 100 kB of RAM (often just a few kilobytes) and often really are single-chip-systems, whereas the term SoC is typically used with more powerful processors, capable of running software such as the desktop versions of Windows and Linux, which need external memory chips (flash, RAM) to be useful, and which are used with various external peripherals. In short, for larger systems, the term system on a chip is hyperbole, indicating technical direction more than reality: increasing chip integration to reduce manufacturing costs and to enable smaller systems. Many interesting systems are too complex to fit on just one chip built with a process optimized for just one of the system's tasks."
Source:- Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_on_a_chip

Status
Not open for further replies.