Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what are the different between pic and Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nipuna56

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends what are the different between pic and Arduino?
what is the more suitable thing for electronic projects

The Microchip PIC is a family of microcontrollers, while an Arduino is a development platform which utilizes primarily Atmel AVR family of microcontrollers.

Both the Microchip PIC and the Atmel AVR are suitable for electronic projects.

The Arduino is a complete development platform with its own standards, integrated development environment (IDE) and programming interface (API).

If you are new to microcontrollers, the Arduino platform is certainly worth considering for educational purposes.

BigDog

why still pic popular ?

Microchip PICs, Atmel AVRs and other microcontrollers are utilized in designs to fulfill a specific purpose, while an Arduino is more of an educational development platform.

In other words you are not likely to open a microwave oven and find an Arduino installed inside, however you are likely to find a PIC, AVR, 8051 or some other microcontroller.

Consider the Arduino more as a development board, by which to develop concepts and code.

Comparing the two is a lot like comparing motors to a complete automobiles, without a motor the automobile would not function.

By the way, there are PIC32 based Arduino compatible boards:

Digilent chipKIT

BigDog

can we do same things by using these 2 platforms?

according to my idea we can do only one project by using one Arduino board (uno,mega,)

Last edited:

can we do same things by using these 2 platforms?

They are simply not the same thing.

One is a microcontroller, the other a development board which incorporates a microcontroller, Atmel AVR, into its design.

Without the Atmel AVR, the Arduino would not exist as we know it.

As I suggested in post #5:

Comparing the two is a lot like comparing motors to a complete automobiles, without a motor the automobile would not function.

Which is why PICs, AVRs and other microcontroller exist, to provide a means to design a development board like the Arduino and more specific designs like a microwave oven controller.

BigDog

according to my idea we can do only one project by using one Arduino board (uno,mega,)

I'm little bit familiar with pic i did some projects using it
what is the best thing remain in pic or jump to Arduino
I want your your help because i never use Araduino yet

Frankly, discussions like those posted by soppcb are, in my opinion, absurd.

Discussion threads with titles like:

why arduino over PIC? Why PIC over arduino?

PIC vs Arduino

Are about as relevant as:

The Ceramic Cup vs the Microwave Oven.

Other than the fact they both can be found in a kitchen and you can put the ceramic cup in the microwave oven,
they are two entirely different and unrelated items.

BigDog

Sir can you please explain it further

Arduinos are quite flexible as a development board and platform,
however as with all development boards there are certain restrictions dictated by the design.

Designing a project from the ground up always offers more flexibility at the cost of convenience.

I'm little bit familiar with pic i did some projects using it

When you design a project using a PIC, is the entire design compromised of only a PIC?

Of course not!

You must design a complete circuit, including a power supply, oscillator section, sensor input, various outputs and possibly a programming interface.

The Arduino is simply a prepackaged design, commonly known as a development board, including all the common design requirements listed above.

Rather than use an Arduino, you could purchase a PIC development board or design and build your own PIC development board.

what is the best thing remain in pic or jump to Arduino

You can only answer that question, as it largely depends on your intended goals.

As I mentioned before, the Arduino is a good educational platform, it provides a standardized design, IDE and programming interface.

However, it is quite a bit different than traditional embedded C development as it mixes many elements of C++ with Standard C.

Also the convenience of the standardized Arduino design comes at a cost of flexibility.

Another option is studying the Atmel AVR microcontroller and later building your own Arduino out of an AVR microcontroller.

The above option would offer you advantages of both low level development and the higher level development using Arduino IDE.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.